NSA help

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm afraid of the hook because I spent most of my time in the left side of the course when I started playing. So I had settled on a pretty steep swing that faded nearly everytime (some more than others). I tried to start NSA a while ago to try to get rid of my slice. The twistaway would hook so I got scared and stopped trying the pattern and instead would twistaway a little to play a small fade. I felt that I did okay fading everything. But after starting to get too OTT, and having misses in the left (pull/pulldraw) and the right (push/fade/slice) which is crap, I decided to go back and really devote myself to range work and fix my slice for good, learn to draw my shots, and then fade it if I wanted to. And I mean a small yard draws and fades.

So I started to "flatten" my swing to swing under the stick, feels more like an elbow plane motion instead of straight from the top of the TSP motion. And I started to full twistaway.

I do hit some smother hooks and ugly ass unplayable shots but some decent hooks and 10/20 yard draws are coming around in the irons. I do push it with the irons too and I feel completely inaccurate with them now. I mainly push/slices my driver as of yesterday. I did this for my irons and driver the first time I tried NSA as well. I have problems twisting away the driver face and so that's probably why I'm slicing it. So, what's the biggest culprit? I'm pretty sure it's both, but is my clubface control or is my attempt at tracing a plane line worse? Does it sound like I'm missing something? I don't want stop again to revert back to my old swing, am I on the right track?

I've lost complete control of my swing, so much that I avoid playing now. Only shots that I feel go where I want them to are my short game shorts (minus putts :p). So any insight on the root of the problem/what to do next is much appreciated, thanks!

i use the same pattern, and went from slicing to hooking. i,v recently cured the hook. on the start down make sure that you are not under plane and for accuracy do the wedding ring up on every shot. my 2c

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
When i change a slicer to more of an elbow plane, twistaway drawer who gets some rat hooks, i'll then check a couple things. Make sure your grip is neutral, practice tracing a straight plane line (not to far right), and put an impact bag six inches or so in front of the ball and practice putting the whole shaft on it after impact.

My grip is neutral I believe, at least I've been using a neutral grip since the first time I tried NSA. Are underplane and swinging too far to the right the same or similar? I feel like if I want to swing more to the right I'd have to start lower and if I wanted wanted to swing to the left I'd have to start higher.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
One piece at a time...

I'm afraid of the hook because I spent most of my time in the left side of the course when I started playing. So I had settled on a pretty steep swing that faded nearly everytime (some more than others). I tried to start NSA a while ago to try to get rid of my slice. The twistaway would hook so I got scared and stopped trying the pattern and instead would twistaway a little to play a small fade.

Ok.

If you hooked it with "x" amount of twistaway, and faded it with "y" amount, go back to the X amount on the downswing only. Worth a try, and the results will help my long-distance analysis.

I felt that I did okay fading everything. But after starting to get too OTT, and having misses in the left (pull/pulldraw) and the right (push/fade/slice) which is crap, I decided to go back and really devote myself to range work and fix my slice for good, learn to draw my shots, and then fade it if I wanted to. And I mean a small yard draws and fades.

I will not start "de-hooking" a twist-curewd slicer with a flatter plane.

The reson it is on the video is to help those who STILL SLICE. Each of my 10 items in NSA 2 is in an order. Only use #3 if #1 & #2 still don't quite de-slice you.

Does it sound like I'm missing something? I don't want stop again to revert back to my old swing, am I on the right track?

I would bet a lot that you are swing too far to the right, and need to use the TSP on the downswing as well.

If you use the NHA pattern with a bit of twist, where would it go?

Thanks for the reply Brian, I will definitely try these out the next time I have the chance and see what happens.

I will not start "de-hooking" a twist-curewd slicer with a flatter plane.

The reson it is on the video is to help those who STILL SLICE. Each of my 10 items in NSA 2 is in an order. Only use #3 if #1 & #2 still don't quite de-slice you.

Ah sorry, I just figured that maybe I was just OTT everything and was hoping that going to a flatter plane would help fix that. I mean I was fading a lot of my shots even in my short irons except when I would pull it sometimes. Sounds like you're recommending me to try start back down the TSP again? Man and after I spent like a thousand swings trying to drop down too, the arms will feel so much further away. :)

Several questions on this though, am I supposed to feel less accum. #4 on the higher plane or is that a swing fault? Also, is it right to still be on the elbow plane @ impact when starting down the TSP? Can you hit straight / soft draws from a higher plane? It seems that it's predisposed to straight / soft fade because sometimes you stay too steep. I'd love to know why.

I would bet a lot that you are swing too far to the right, and need to use the TSP on the downswing as well.

If you use the NHA pattern with a bit of twist, where would it go?

To be honest what I felt like I was doing something like that before I lost it and had no idea where the ball was going to go when I stepped up to it. Though I was using more of a NSA backswing since if I'm pretty prone to reverse pivoting if I don't consciously think of turning my hips, and I didn't really think "swing left" because hell I was a slicer, I know how to swing left just fine. I always wondered if I was using the wrong pattern since I wasn't a hooker and is part of the reason I wanted to try a full NSA pattern. I will try twisting to "X" instead of "Y" and swinging to the left and see what happens.

Thanks again for your help!

Leek

New
Brian has me on a modified NHA, but I often look at my left wrist at the top and think it's cupped a little bit. I then do a small twistaway to flatten it. At some point we have to develop our own pattern. In lessons, Brian will lead us there, but I think we still have to make it our own.

Thought I should update.

Alright, I found out after trying to go to the elbow plane/flatten my swing with that elbow drop "magic move" that of course you guys are right and I am desperately under plane (swinging right?). After I was having problems with hitting fat/shanking, I tried to hitting the driver off the deck. I used to get the ball airborne fine with a fade, but I spent quite a bit of my range balls trying not to hit it fat. I started to spin out and stay back, it was a horrible, horrible day.

I didn't really get to isolate the problem of why I couldn't draw, as I was trying hard enough not to get underplane. I did hit several good shots that were straight/very slight draw with some twist or slight fade so I know the answer is in there somewhere, I just have to dig it out of the dirt next several times I go out.

Thanks for setting me back on the right track. It's so frustrating to take 3 steps back, but hopefully this won't last too long.

How do you ensure that you don't start swinging too far left in a semi-twisted NHA type pattern, i.e. prevent pulls? Also, any drills to keep that bowtie back and not be so damned inpatient to watch the ball fly? :)

How do you ensure that you don't start swinging too far left in a semi-twisted NHA type pattern, i.e. prevent pulls? Also, any drills to keep that bowtie back and not be so damned inpatient to watch the ball fly? :)

Assuming your grip isn't too closed, make sure that right shoulder goes down plane far enough for you to open up that left side.

multi,

You won't pull it unless your clubface IS pointing more left than your plane LINE when the ball leaves the face.

i.e. clubface at green, path left of the green. (this ball starts more or less at green, curves right)

This is my deal right now.....I am just trying to make sure my plane line is OK. (that's my usual "swing thought")

multi,

You won't pull it unless your clubface IS pointing more left than your plane LINE when the ball leaves the face.

i.e. clubface at green, path left of the green. (this ball starts more or less at green, curves right)

This is my deal right now.....I am just trying to make sure my plane line is OK. (that's my usual "swing thought")

I realize what happens when I pull it, I mean if I do a bit of twistaway and get overplane/swing left, I can pull it or even pull-draw if I really mess up my swing. I guess I'm just trying to control my misses, which I find is the most important thing when playing because well I miss a whole lot :). A pull/pull draw when you're playing for a fade almost definitely puts you in trouble or misses the green. Same thing I'd imagine if you push when you normally play a draw. So I guess I have figure out how to draw a straighter plane line. And fiddle with my clubface control.

Status
Not open for further replies.