Oh My - Kats win

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
"I never learned anything from a tournament I won." —Bobby Jones

When something like this game happens, I learn a bunch that I didn't know, and "re-learn" things I already did.

#1. I am more of a participant, than a spectator.​
As much as watching the Tigers and the Saints are a big part of my life, I rather play 7 on 7 touch football at Norman Playground. At the end of the day, I want the ball in MY hands.

That is one of the reasons that I love my job. I am my own boss. I set my hours. I teach what I want, the way I want. And when I want to teach something different, I do it RIGHT NOW.

This website, my videos, and my upcoming books are all MY BABY. I am the captain, and if I sink—or get upset in a teach-off on national TV by a less talented teacher who came to play—it is my fault—nobody else's.

#2. Never stop getting better, someone might catch you.​
Even if you beat someone silly, like the Tiger's did last year against this same opponent, you'd better be working as hard as they are, and you'd better be IMPROVING EVERYDAY. When I think about some of the stuff I taught two years ago, I get sick to my stomach. Why? I am a lot better teacher today, then I was two years ago. And two years before that.

#3. Most golf bets are lost on the the first tee.​
Tiger Woods is the best golfer in the world by a pretty decent margin. But his GAMESMANSHIP in his interviews, are light years better than his competitors. Philly Mick tries to get under Tiger's skin, and so does Rory, but they haven't had much success with it.

When I "google" myself, it always amazes me that only thing some folks say bad about me, is that I am critical of other teachers.

Folks, everyone does it, most of them WAY more than I. But the point is, they are BETTER at it. Slicker. More stealth. "Throwing Corn" is a part of my business. I am better that I was at it, but I have a long way to go.

#4. You are not going to get any help from the refs. Win anyway.​

Wouldn't it be nice if the Top 50 and Top 100 teacher lists actually contained the ACTUAL Top 50 and 100 teachers? Wouldn't it be super if the Golf Channel had a "Big Break" for teachers? Wouldn't it be grand if the Magazines and the Newspapers wrote about—and made famous—teachers who could actually HELP golfers across the board?

They don't. They won't. They ain't gonna.

When I realized that I had to do an "end run" around the golf media, and beat them at their own game, while becoming so good, so big, and having so much good content, that they'll camp out in my front yard with an open checkbook, instead of hoping the PGA or some newspaper or magazine would "save me," it was the best "revalation" of my entire career.

Let the refs cheat. Then, when you win, you'll reallt have won.

I will. ;)

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Brian,why won't the golfing media write about teachers who can actually help? Is it the TGM stigma, or something else? I'm curious because I've been really lamenting lately over the fact that it took so long to find some real help. What's gonna change it?

Brian Manzella

Administrator
They won't. They don't. They ain't gonna.

At the end of the day, there are only three main reasons.

#1. Good old boy network.

#2. Not enough money in the "difference." (or so they think)

#3. They have never seen anyone who can teach at the highest level.
I could "do" about three hours on the three "topics," but the big thing is, those are the RULES of the game.

The internet is changing the rules though. ;)

These are strange times us UK fans. Our basketball team has been remedial while our football team is playing games that actually matter - Bizarro World indeed. As much as I enjoy sticking it to the Tigers, I HATE to see the best conference in football with practically no shot at the crystal football now - and simply because the conference is THAT GOOD. If the rumors are true, and Less does jump ship for Michigan, this will be the reason. Not because he lost to a ranked 5-1 team, but because he plays (every year) 6 to 7 teams that can legitimately beat them - and then as a "reward", one of those teams again in the conference championship. (shot time...) Why wouldn't he go to the Big 10? At best he'd play 1 or 2 decent teams, 8 home games, no conference championship game, and a built in bias to be ranked in the pre-season top 5 every year :)

Last edited:

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
These are strange times us UK fans. Our basketball team has been remedial while our football team is playing games that actually matter - Bizarro World indeed. As much as I enjoy sticking it to the Tigers, I HATE to see the best conference in football with practically no shot at the crystal football now - and simply because the conference is THAT GOOD. If the rumors are true, and Less does jump ship for Michigan, this will be the reason. Not because he lost to a ranked 5-1 team, but because he plays (every year) 6 to 7 teams that can legitimately beat them - and then as a "reward", one of those teams again in the conference championship. (shot time...) Why wouldn't he go to the Big 10? At best he'd play 1 or 2 decent teams, 8 home games, no conference championship game, and a built in bias to be ranked in the pre-season top 5 every year :)

Outstanding post and I 100% agree.

Ain't no party like an SEC party and an SEC party don't stop....

You can say what you want, but the SEC is just tough. The fans are crazy and unreasonable....just look at Alabama....Your family will be harrassed if you do not do well....see Tennessee.....It has got to be a nightmare for today's coaches, because today's coaches are more politician than coach. The tough politically incorrect coaches like, Bryant, Dooley and Dye...the guys who can galvanize a state and a team and are tough enough to take it don't get to be head coaches anymore, they are likely offensive and defensive co-ordinators.

A Big Break with 15-18 handicap players - Each player has a top 100 coach.
Have 4 different groups and the top finisher from each group goes to the playoffs. Might be fun.

Olympic Golf Teach-off in Beijing 2008

Yes, there probably will be such an event. National qualifying is under way, here in Sweden Pia Nilsson and Javier Nigård are already nominated. The format is under debate in the International Olympic Committee right now, some suggestions are:
- Group of 10 students (7 hackers, 2 leakage hookers, 1 natural hooker), 1 hr lessons, 3D swing analysis before and after, match play teaching format
- Mass teaching to 1000 people in the Chinese army Building blocks-like
- Just watch the teacher´s dvd with analysis as above
- Internet teaching double-blind with same analysis
- Silent swing sculpting hands-on with non-English speaking chinese hackers

Any suggestions?

Leek

New
I suspect Brian will be in a bad mood for at least a week

Ky 43- LSU 37 3 OTs

I can't speak for Brian, but as an Ohio State alumnus and fan, I was disappointed by the beating administered by Florida in the championship last year, but it didn't make me grumpy or ruin my week (ok, it ruined my night). It's entertainment, that's all.

Not nearly as important as business success, family etc.

I'm a Tennessee Vol fan... So I'm use to disappointment... Kind of like my golf game...do less with more... Most of us here were routing against TN to get a new coach

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Yes, there probably will be such an event. National qualifying is under way, here in Sweden Pia Nilsson and Javier Nigård are already nominated. The format is under debate in the International Olympic Committee right now, some suggestions are:
- Group of 10 students (7 hackers, 2 leakage hookers, 1 natural hooker), 1 hr lessons, 3D swing analysis before and after, match play teaching format
- Mass teaching to 1000 people in the Chinese army Building blocks-like
- Just watch the teacher´s dvd with analysis as above
- Internet teaching double-blind with same analysis
- Silent swing sculpting hands-on with non-English speaking chinese hackers

Any suggestions?

Yeah.

Just bring the golfers, bring the teachers, and let whomever judge.

Just don't HIDE the video from the world after. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.