Orthodox or Not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone. What is the denotation being used for orthodox in this thread?

Sorry if the question has been previously answered.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DYe_0by8Co[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQsLXTEC8hM[/media]

Any thoughts? I think Payne has one of the most underrated swings in the history of the game.

I'd kill to have a swing like that.

Darn right. Proven Tour and Major winner.

Look at all these guys...

Miller, Nicklaus, Trevino, Watson, Stewart, etc. etc. we could go on and on.

No one talks about them in Pop Golf! Or at least it is often bastardized. (bad camera angles to prove a preconceived preference...reverse process if you ask me)

Or they talk about "Well this player had exceptional 'timing'...", or whatever...

I dunno. Or maybe all these guys Simply (just) have superior innate ability to make these swings work...

:) Naw man...

(someone talked about good players being fearful, and this fear driving their changes/process of trying to improve)

I was swinging today...Shadow Swinging. (good session) I was thinking of this post because I had a moment where Fear seemed to creep in. Call it fear, doubt, curiosity. Probably all of em.

I wanted to tinker. "Maybe if I do this I can do better." (even though I have experimented with the same mechanics before with little success)

Almost makes me want to write a log of things I have tried, and the results. I won't though probably.

I'll be fine I presume...with all I've learned and learned in here...but I had a bit of a moment there.

Anxiety, curiosity, doubt, confusion ahhhhh. (but it's all good)

"If they are not your friends they are your enemy, and something to be feared." -Col. Kurtz teaches golf

?

Dunno. I like Apocalypse Now.

Last edited:

Brian Manzella

Administrator
More answers....

I would say 'chill', but there'd be a pot/kettle/black element there!

Given some of the information in this thread, how useful do people (esp Brian) think Tips Plus: Rick Smith (Jan. 2011): Golf Digest is as a drill?

Seems like a pretty good drill to me. That's how I started the "Fiddle Drill."

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DYe_0by8Co[/media]
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQsLXTEC8hM[/media]

Any thoughts? I think Payne has one of the most underrated swings in the history of the game.

No doubt. Just great.

Hello everyone. What is the denotation being used for orthodox in this thread?

Sorry if the question has been previously answered.

This one: "customary or conventional."

Darn right. Proven Tour and Major winner.

Look at all these guys...

Miller, Nicklaus, Trevino, Watson, Stewart, etc. etc. we could go on and on.

No one talks about them in Pop Golf! Or at least it is often bastardized. (bad camera angles to prove a preconceived preference...reverse process if you ask me)

Or they talk about "Well this player had exceptional 'timing'...", or whatever...

You are so right.

Isn't it funny, we have come to the point where I have to argue for Nicklaus, Miller, Watson, and Payne Stewart?

A damn shame.

The great thing is you don't have to argue. You know what you know and it works.

I love what you said earlier..."and a few things I'm going to keep to myself."

You should. Info like that should be paid for.

ej20

New
The great thing is you don't have to argue. You know what you know and it works.

I love what you said earlier..."and a few things I'm going to keep to myself."

You should. Info like that should be paid for.

Ah the old "I taught you everything you know but not everythng I know" line.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Ah the old "I taught you everything you know but not everythng I know" line.

Ah....no.

We have learned a LOT in the last few months from several world-class scientists, and we have developed it from there.

Some of it will start leaking out....

No one with common sense should argue Nicklaus,Miller, O Grady and Watson are some of the greatest ball strikers in history and Brian shouldn't have to defend it!
Same goes for Hogan,Trevino,Palmer,Knudson which had a very flat swing compared to most and Jack said himself was one of the best ball strikers but he couldn't putt.
These great ball strikers come in upright and flattish techniques which proves you can make a 120 deg turn regardless if upright or flat if you dont see it then one does not understand the golf swing. Quote- from Sam Snead i try to turn my shoulders 120 and let my hands travel to 9 o'clock this produced less compensation on the downswing or in laymans terms minimal hand travel maximum shoulder rotation
Would one consider Allen Doyle a horrible ball striker? No! Different yes and repeatable - Biomechanics show us we dont have to have are hands reach the moon to make are shoulders turn 110 or 120?

TaylorMadeAP25

For argument sake, who's to say those players maybe could have played better by working on POP instruction from today? and made their careers even that much better.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
For argument sake, who's to say those players maybe could have played better by working on POP instruction from today? and made their careers even that much better.

For argument sake let's say all those current "pop" instructed players would have done better without all of the "pop" instruction, from all of the "pop" teachers.

Just for arguments sake.

lia41985

insl01_dustin_johnson.jpg

insl04_dustin_johnson.jpg

insl12_dustin_johnson.jpg

Last edited:
you dont have to look no further than rickie fowler and dustin johnson for your answer. they are americas 2 most promising newcomers, and both their swings are far from conventional. is it not obvious in an era where method teaching hit new heights that the 2 best players to emerge have not got text book swings. its like this everybody walks in a certain way that is unique to them. you dont think about how to walk you instinctively do it. now if someone started telling you that you had to always lead with the left foot and the right foot should always be at a right angle to the left foot etc etc, then more than likely you would trip over yourself and would find something that was once so simple now very diffulcult. ofcourse golf is not as simple as walking but why make something that is already complicated, even more so. i have an acquaintance at my club now you talk about a one piece take away this guy has a one piece swing he would make a steel bar look supple. i asked him what is the newest thing he is working on as he is always working on something, he said im working on restricting my hip turn to increase my x factor, this from a guy that can barely turn his shoulders 20 degrees at the best of times, its depressing to think that some golf teachers are still teaching this garbage. method and gimmick teaching are the devil.

Last edited:
Rickie Fowler is growing on me. The get up is a bit out there, but so what. In person his swing is aesthetically pleasing, and the ball flight penetrating. Very whip-lashy which is fun to watch, as opposed to somebody like Stricker who swings it like Pinnochio.:D Take it easy I like Stricker, especially how he bawls at the drop of a Titleist! No really, it tells me that he absolutely understands the priviledge of his situation. Like them Wisconsin types!

Also Fowler seems to be mature beyond his years. He relates very well to the crowd etc. He has a growing fan base among the youngsters. Plus he is a Cowpoke!

I was shocked to hear that Fowler does not put his swing on tape, that he just uses ball flight. Wow! Ironic, given he is part of a technophilic generation. A luddite among tech-heads...love it! Anyway,it is great to see some players that ran when they saw the cookie cutter approaching. I know this sounds like I am a sycophant, but I think a teacher with the gadgets sans the cookie cutters is the best combination. Now only if we knew who that could be?:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.