Over the top

Status
Not open for further replies.
95% of the time, an open clubface-sorry, I have to disagree with that. The position of the clubface is never a determinant of swing path. Swing path may be a determinant of clubface position but not the reverse.
In the world of traditional teachings, we believe taking the club too inside on the backswing and/or allowing the right hand to dominate the downswing creates an out to in swing path.
I just wanted to see what the Manzella world would say; now I know.
So long folks, I am deleting the forum from my bookmarks. Useless and not worth the effort.

OK so anybody have any drills to help out?
I have heard putting your right foot a foot behind you but have a square stance and take your normal swing.
Is this one and what other ones are there?

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
95% of the time, an open clubface-sorry, I have to disagree with that. The position of the clubface is never a determinant of swing path. Swing path may be a determinant of clubface position but not the reverse.
In the world of traditional teachings, we believe taking the club too inside on the backswing and/or allowing the right hand to dominate the downswing creates an out to in swing path.
So long folks, I am deleting the forum from my bookmarks. Useless and not worth the effort.

Bye Bye

It's obvious you don't need us then because i guess all the people who come from states away (not including a few from other countries) who come to see Manzella Academy Instructors must all be brainwashed and none of us know what we're doing ;)

Leek

New

Darn, it was a pop quiz!

There is really no place for elitists like the majority of "kool aid" drinkers who frequent and monopolize this forum. Dare to disagree or dare to ask their opinions and what you get is sarcasm, condescension and ridicule.
No need to post anything more in response because I won't re-visit to read your garbage.

It is way way way easier to fix the grip and watch the swing change than to try to fix the swing so that the grip changes.

Try this with any person. Don't tell them what you're looking for or they'll change what they do.

Have them swing 5 times with a strong grip
Have them swing 5 times with a weak grip

Now watch the path they take with the club during the takeaway.

That observation should change your mind real fast about this issue.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
It is way way way easier to fix the grip and watch the swing change than to try to fix the swing so that the grip changes.

Try this with any person. Don't tell them what you're looking for or they'll change what they do.

Have them swing 5 times with a strong grip
Have them swing 5 times with a weak grip

Now watch the path they take with the club during the takeaway.

That observation should change your mind real fast about this issue.

You are VERY correct Ringer, they would react to the BALL!!!

Brian Manzella

Administrator
There is really no place for elitists like the majority of "kool aid" drinkers who frequent and monopolize this forum. Dare to disagree or dare to ask their opinions and what you get is sarcasm, condescension and ridicule.
No need to post anything more in response because I won't re-visit to read your garbage.

Elitists??

:D

What a joke.

You come to this forum, and NEVER had any thing to CONTRIBUTE, and all you did was knock us.

Try that on a real Kool-aid forum, and they'd ban you in 5 minutes flat.

I am willing to help your game, flapro, or your teaching, and most of it—for free.

If you don't want to learn or add to this disscussion....well...:rolleyes:

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator

It's not about elitists...it's about WHAT WORKS THAT ISN'T A BAND AID which is what some people don't understand.

If i took 10 slicers and fixed the clubface on 5 of them and fixed the 5 on the other 5 what do you think the result would be?

The 5 i fixed the face on here would be my prediction:
-2 would still have the over the top issue however they'd be hitting the ball farther and they could play a pull and be happy.
-2 would pull hook it hard and figure out, on their own, that they have to swing more to the right to straighten the path out and they'd be playing small draws and they'd book lessons for every weekend probably.
-1 would struggle and probably still slice it because they would need more attention than just a face fix such as setup, grip, etc etc.

The 5 i fixed the path on here would be prediction:
-2 would hit push slices and eventually develop a flip to save the shot from starting right
-2 would shank it on half their shots and go back to the OTT slice
-1 would figure they have to rotate the face closed through the shot

Which has a higher success rate?

Flapro probably never saw "never slice again"....

Probably never understood what fix the clubface really meant...

Flapro is the reason that The golf channel exists in its CURRENT form... come the revolution....;)

Well promax. I guess you will be back with 'golfone' again. Actually you are beginning to sound very much like him. Go on now, get back to Great Golf Domain. Burning bridges etc.

What I figured was that OTT was caused by the new golfer getting the wrong idea about how the body and arms work in relation to the orbit of the clubhead. Some folks might call that ignorance. The club looks like it goes around in a circle, so the new golfer spins his arms and shoulders (mostly the right shoulder) around in a circle to power it. Once they get the idea of right arm under left through impact they are on the road to a real golf swing. At least, thats how the development of my own swing went anyway.

Burner

New
95% of the time, an open clubface.
5% of the time, no axis tilt on the downswing.

Disagree, Jim.

Self-mastery has got it right - "ignorance".

Ignorance in the belief that the ball has to be struck dead centre in the rear and in a direct line to the target.

The Plane of motion is thus disrupted before the downswing even begins.

Open club faces and improper axis tilt do not cause over the top swings, they are merely symptoms of the general disease of ignorance.

Fix the Plane first, then move on to the detail. Unless, of course, that you can fix the ball flight of an over the top swinger by adjusting his club face and axis tilt to compensate for his initial, and uncorrected, problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.