palying from an open stance with all clubs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

timm

New
Yesterday afternoon I played 9 holes with my brother and I was hitting the ball like crap. My brother could see my frustration and on the next hole told me to drop my left foot back and then square up my legs, hips and shoulders back to the original stance line. I asked why and he said I was not getting my pivot to move my hands but I told him I was only trying to use the pivot to wallop the ball. He said it looked like I was stopping just as the arms were coming into impact. So on the next hole I tired his suggestion and after hitting my 7 iron to about foot of the pin I was shocked but I thought it was a fluke. Then I pulled out my driver for the next hole and he told me to do it with the driver. To my surprise it was the best drive I think I have ever hit straight down the middle and the ball flight was high it carried 260. I know 260 is not far but for me to have carried it that far is huge. Most of my drivers are either low draws that run down the fair way for ever or high fade/slice to the right. So today I went to the range with a video camera and noticed that I was able to get on the turned shoulder plan with out thinking about it and it looked like I was tracing the plane line very well on the way down. My pivot looked like a actual pivot with plenty of access tilt. All my shots were straight and had very high trajectory. Sorry for the length post but can some one tell me the pit falls I need to look out for with an open stance for all shot’s wedges to driver?

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
None really, most better players play from a slightly open stance because it makes it much easier to not get too inside or get too underplane.

Just make sure that you don't start pulling the ball. When you play from an open stance your shoulder turn is usually shorter and the club doesn't go as much "in."

Hi Jim,

Doesn't the open stance restrict the backswing? For inflexible people like me, I won't be able to get a full shoulder turn if my stance is open and my plane line is the target lne, especially for my longer clubs.

cheers,

daniel

timm

New
Thanks Jim.

None really, most better players play from a slightly open stance because it makes it much easier to not get too inside or get too underplane.

Just make sure that you don't start pulling the ball. When you play from an open stance your shoulder turn is usually shorter and the club doesn't go as much "in."

Status
Not open for further replies.