Partial shots or full shots??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys I'd like to ask your advice on course management...If you had a choice which shot you would use to play into most greens would you choose a 40 yard half or 3/4 swing or would you choose a full shot such as a 100 yard gap wedge..

I ask this because at decsion holes i usually prefer to get as close to the green as i can..Usually get left with partial instead of full shots..If i throttle back and leave myself with a 100 yard shot do you think i would score better..:D..everything else being equal of course..:p

Depends on your pitching prowess.......

Most amatuers probably don't pitch that well (including me), so I would take the 100 yard full SW.:cool:

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
Agree with above, depends on how well I am pitching the ball at the time.

My favorite shots are 1/2 & 3/4 PW's and 9 irons from 80 - 120 yards. I rarely hit a full shot with anything inside 125, unless I have to fly a bunker or hazard or something like that.

I can't remember where I read it but I'm sure I saw an article stating that even tour pros try to avoid the 15-50 yrd range and it isn't a full shot.

Much better to be by the green or hitting a full shot in.

I'm much happier on a 3/4 or full shot than a 1/2 or a mini pitch.

Just my thoughts

You probably read in a Golf Digest article featuring Annika Sorenstein where she is quoted to say that the 50 yrd shot is one of the toughest in golf.

For me, I like the 3/4 shots from SW to 9 iron.

Status
Not open for further replies.