Partnering with a college golf team

Status
Not open for further replies.

JRJ

New
Does anybody belong to or work at a club that partners well with a Div 1 golf program?? I'm looking for advice on how to build a "win-win" relationship between the two. What would be some ideas/programs that could benefit both? For example, does anyone think a school would kick-in money to build an indoor/outdoor practice facility/help buy technlogy like Trackman, etc.

Is there a successful model out there or is this usually a one-way street where the club gives up their course for free and that's pretty much it.

Thanks.

JRJ

bcoak

New
This is always a hard one. I warmed the bench at U of Richmond and we had a course right next to campus- part of James River CC (? held an amateur). This course was very much an executive type course but it had decent practice facilities. We were allowed to be on premise during the week after 1ish. We could play and use practice facilities. No weekend access.
I belong to a club that lets Boston College have some access. Not sure of the deal.
My advice:
Try and present to the membership, with a few of your guys
Find some alum support if possible.
Ask for unlimited practice green access (and short game if possible).
Playing time is tough because u always get a few members that complain. I would work w/ the pro to determine good days and hours to play (even if its 7am).
You just need tgo market it, make sure the kids know that they need to be polite, and it doesnt make sense.

I was thinking you had a team that was inquiring about your facility. bcoak sounds like you are the team looking. Regardless I think it depends on your area and the team you are talking about. A Riviera CC/UCLA relationship is going to be a lot different than a lot of other relationships. If you are a club but have a low level D1 school you can forget the Trackman and kick-in money although trying for it is not a bad idea. You never know who is backing the program. Best of luck to you. Some schools, like Tim Mickelson's team in San Diego have many clubs that participate in practicing, but mostly playing their courses and it doesnt impact the club. Many times the schools give tickets for other games like Basketball, Football etc that can work in the club's favor. Especially if you have a private club that you can hand out potentially hot tickets to your Board Members. (depends on the school obviously and their curriculum)

If the school has a PGM program, that always helps. I know the course I'm at lets the kids from the PGM program and the golf team of the local university play whenever they want during the week.

The best thing to do with your team is to talk to a lot of different clubs, find the best deal for a practice facility, make that your home course, and try to get once-a-week deals at all the other courses. That way, the team has a place to call home and the opportunity to play a variety of courses. Most places will give you at least some limited access, many will just ask that you schedule your groups a week in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.