Payne Stewart: Soft Draw?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's awesome to see him in person.

I thought he was a Nicklaus guy. Upright, played a fade, wide arc, took it back low and slow.

I was wrong though.

chuck cook gave an interview and he revealed how payne always thought he could win the US open playing a draw because this was his normal shot. but chuck knew that the players who won US Opens played fades, as they needed the extra control. but payne was insistant he could win it drawing the ball.

chuck therefore tricked payne though. he would stand closer to panye causing him to get more upright and fade the ball. he started hitting fades. he won his first US Open.

the second he won he again thought he could win drawing it. chuck got him again though. he just kept tellig payne he was aiming way right, and he needed to aim more left. he opened his stance so much he started fading it again. he won th open again.

i think it would be safe to say he hit both shots

I remember listening to that interview pecky, it was quality.. A guy I know was doing some coaching or seminars with Chuck and Chuck told him that he could take a tramp off the street and if he did everything Chuck said would get him onto the PGA tour and win 3 million dollars within 10 years - classic - the guys a bit of a nutter but he's good, funny guy!!

chuck cook gave an interview and he revealed how payne always thought he could win the US open playing a draw because this was his normal shot. but chuck knew that the players who won US Opens played fades, as they needed the extra control. but payne was insistant he could win it drawing the ball.

chuck therefore tricked payne though. he would stand closer to panye causing him to get more upright and fade the ball. he started hitting fades. he won his first US Open.

the second he won he again thought he could win drawing it. chuck got him again though. he just kept tellig payne he was aiming way right, and he needed to aim more left. he opened his stance so much he started fading it again. he won th open again.

i think it would be safe to say he hit both shots

if that story is true, its pretty pathetic that a coach would use such a tactic on a golfer that plays for his living, regardless of the fact that it worked in that case.

rwh

New
As pecky987 said, the story is told by Chuck Cook on his instructional DVD.

Frankly, I can't believe that Payne Stewart was fooled, as he surely knew that he wasn't hitting draws with what Chuck Cook was (allegedly) telling him.

Whatever. Stewart obviously entrusted his game to Mr. Cook and had great success.

if that story is true, its pretty pathetic that a coach would use such a tactic on a golfer that plays for his living, regardless of the fact that it worked in that case.

Resurrecting an old thread.......from what I have heard Payne could be a bit stubborn. There was also a story I heard where Chuck Cook wanted Payne to lengthen his putting stroke and have a little less pop so he told him he was getting WAY too short. This was before the 1991 U.S. Open. I'm a music teacher and I do this kind of stuff all the time. Whatever gets the job done.

I watched a Shell Wonderful World of Golf between Payne Stewart and Nick Price recently (both were about equally long with all clubs on a hilly, windy course. Price had better short irons and won the match, though he did not putt well).

My impression is that Stewart's swing idea is all about maintaining a big radius and that it is based around his left arm. A great really smooth wait/release (sweep I guess). He has a suprisingly wide stance.

Dave Pelz' (short game coach) book on chipping and pitching says that Stewart had ADHD and that he needed any practice to be kept very interesting and varied.

Status
Not open for further replies.