Personal attacks in these discussions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you know anyone who speaks with great certainty about everything, someone who makes statements such as, “Utter nonsense!” or “That’s ridiculous!” or “You’re completely wrong!” when someone disagrees with him?
Such people are often insufferable and are seldom popular. Their philosophy is “I think I know, therefore I do know!” Or they declare, “My opinion is not just an opinion, but a fact.”
Being right is very important to such people, even when they are dead wrong. They fail to realize that there is a big difference between fact and truth on the one hand, and opinion, belief, taste, and preference on the other. What’s more, what is wrong is not the same as what we dislike or disapprove of.
It’s important to avoid attacking or labeling those who disagree with us.
Be on guard against people who say, in effect “You are wrong…I am right…You have no brains…You don’t know what’s good…”

Strong statements of opinion makes for a lively discussion. That's different than personal attacks or gutter talk.

Matter of fact, I love it when someone says "You're dead wrong, pal. HERE'S WHY..."

The importance of being right to some people....does such a person willing argue his opponent's position and offer to "switch sides"?

quote:Originally posted by David Alford

Strong statements of opinion makes for a lively discussion. That's different than personal attacks or gutter talk.

Matter of fact, I love it when someone says "You're dead wrong, pal. HERE'S WHY..."

The importance of being right to some people....does such a person willing argue his opponent's position and offer to "switch sides"?
David,
I think what others are saying or are attempting to say is summed up by my saying," Initially your posts here, their tone, the manner in which you worded them, turned me off!" I see you have toned down, very good! BUT, you still react as if everything is personal, you appear to get emotional if challanged. Not unlike several others here.
Although I addressed this to you, it is meant for anyone the shoe fits, even Brian!
Hey, I think most of us are trying to learn (hopefully about the principals set forth in TGM. I consider this a TGM site) more about the swing.
Courtesy is contagious! So is insulting and flaming.

BTW Thanks to everyone who provides help.

Status
Not open for further replies.