PGA Tour and Strong Grips...They work well

Status
Not open for further replies.
I submit that the majority of players on any tour play with a strong grip (varies by degree of course). With that said, even if you dont agree with that, at least a quarter of them do so.

So, my question is, what are the top two adjustments they make, either in their set-up or swing to allow them to play golf at the highest level?

I submit that the majority of players on any tour play with a strong grip (varies by degree of course). With that said, even if you dont agree with that, at least a quarter of them do so.

So, my question is, what are the top two adjustments they make, either in their set-up or swing to allow them to play golf at the highest level?

lol. within two sentences you say that you think "the majority" have strong grips and then back track and say that its undeniable that at least 25% have strong grips. How do you know either of these statements? On one of his free videochat things brian showed that you cant really tell how strong someones grip is from the face on view.

Number one adjustment I would say is concisously or sub-conciously they are only using the #2 accumulator where as most am's also include #3 and hit the nice snapper..

lol. within two sentences you say that you think "the majority" have strong grips and then back track and say that its undeniable that at least 25% have strong grips. How do you know either of these statements? On one of his free videochat things brian showed that you cant really tell how strong someones grip is from the face on view.

thats cool, but I bet I'm correct. Do you have a view on this or just a Palin type response?

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
2.5 or more knuckles showing

See, this is kinda what how i thought you'd answer and the problem with this is that you can't really base much on how much knuckles you see on TV.

I would say that the majority of players on tour play with something similar to what kelley wanted in "strong single action" and few to none play with "manzella neutral." Closest one would be Tiger.

The problem when looking on TV is that say you have a strong single action grip and play with more mid body hands, if you set up tha way the face is going to be closed at address and a lot of players don't like that much. So they will rotate their left forearm prematurely to get the face to point where they feel more visually comfortable and it will also make their grip seem much stronger than it is.

IMO i would say that majority play with a grip that is close to strong single action, followed by a group who are slight stronger than that, then followed a very small group playing very strong grips (ala trevino, couples, daly, azinger etc) and then followed by the smallest group of "manzella neutral" or weak compared to today's standards and only people i can think of who use that are tiger and corey.

Manzella neutral??

Jim:

I play with BM's grip, because of this forum, and seem to be doing fine. What advantage does it have over a stronger grip? If so many are strong single action, there must be a reason.

Thanks, Cliff

See, this is kinda what how i thought you'd answer and the problem with this is that you can't really base much on how much knuckles you see on TV.

I would say that the majority of players on tour play with something similar to what kelley wanted in "strong single action" and few to none play with "manzella neutral." Closest one would be Tiger.

The problem when looking on TV is that say you have a strong single action grip and play with more mid body hands, if you set up tha way the face is going to be closed at address and a lot of players don't like that much. So they will rotate their left forearm prematurely to get the face to point where they feel more visually comfortable and it will also make their grip seem much stronger than it is.

IMO i would say that majority play with a grip that is close to strong single action, followed by a group who are slight stronger than that, then followed a very small group playing very strong grips (ala trevino, couples, daly, azinger etc) and then followed by the smallest group of "manzella neutral" or weak compared to today's standards and only people i can think of who use that are tiger and corey.

Perfect! Now lets get back to the question at hand if you will. So, my question is, what are the top two adjustments they make, either in their set-up or swing to allow them to play golf at the highest level? (those with slightly strong or very strong grips)?

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Perfect! Now lets get back to the question at hand if you will. So, my question is, what are the top two adjustments they make, either in their set-up or swing to allow them to play golf at the highest level? (those with slightly strong or very strong grips)?

Top Two-ish:

1) Less accumulator #3 as someone mentioned (ie less forearm roll through the ball)
2) More delay to keep the face open longer (more forward lean)
2ish) some play from a slightly more open plane line

I remember...

One of the things that struck me the most while I was walking around the President's Cup at Royal Montreal last year was how strong most of the players' grips appeared.

Can we get some more elaboration on why it isn't so simple to see how "strong" a player's grip is from the face on view? I'm sure that a piece of it has to do with whether the hands are mid-body or more towards impact fix, but what other factors come in to play? Clubface alignment would seem to be one (if a players clubface is open, their grip wouldn't be as strong as it appears, right?).

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Clubface alignment would seem to be one (if a players clubface is open, their grip wouldn't be as strong as it appears, right?).

This is the main one, if i take a slightly strong grip and put my hands mid body the face appears radically closed. Most players don't want to "see" that. So they will rotate their left forearm clockwise to open the face at address. This rotation will make the grip appear stronger

Top Two-ish:

1) Less accumulator #3 as someone mentioned (ie less forearm roll through the ball)
2) More delay to keep the face open longer (more forward lean)
2ish) some play from a slightly more open plane line

...ah, thanks for your answer. I was working on 1 and 2 this past weekend and loved the straighter higher ball flight with my 4 and 5 irons. I dont want the new feel to turn into a chicken wing through the ball though, I'll have to guard against that.

Thanks.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
...ah, thanks for your answer. I was working on 1 and 2 this past weekend and loved the straighter higher ball flight with my 4 and 5 irons. I dont want the new feel to turn into a chicken wing through the ball though, I'll have to guard against that.

Thanks.

Just "feel like" your left wrist bends more through the ball rather than turns...this should alleivate any chicken wing or snapper

This is the main one, if i take a slightly strong grip and put my hands mid body the face appears radically closed. Most players don't want to "see" that. So they will rotate their left forearm clockwise to open the face at address. This rotation will make the grip appear stronger

The height of the hands at address is another factor that affects how strong a grip "appears" from the face on view. Lower hands will give the appearance of a stronger grip than higher hands.

thanks jim. this explains why i struggle to fade it sometimes. getting it to look open with my hands back where i like them looks so ugly and wrong. it probably also explains why when i do have it open from back there i feel like i have to stall my body to hit it good (and not lose it right) and half the time lose it left.

i thought of this when i was playing around with hand positions a long time ago but because i've never really heard it discussed i didn't trust it (fairly new to net forums), it's not until you hear someone who knows their stuff say it that it kicks in as something of merit. i thought i was just seeing what i wanted to see when the clubface closed as i moved hands back and that if i played with it closed from back there i'd be hitting controlled blocks. a golfer spends so many years watching slicers play with a closed clubface at address it kinda doesn't seem like the way to go.

Just "feel like" your left wrist bends more through the ball rather than turns...this should alleivate any chicken wing or snapper

one instructor who need not be named wrote a book about hogan and expressed the opinion that following hogan's lead of playing with bowed left wrist through the ball to cure a hook will actually exaggerate the hook. i think that fits here quite nicely because unless you chicken wing and really lead with the left elbow, bowing the wrist with a strong grip will shut the clubface down which is just what you don't want. doing the opposite and bending the left wrist slightly through impact allows you to keep the left arm on the chest and also keep a hand position that correlates with your strong grip.

Status
Not open for further replies.