Phil pulling his unique Jean Van de Velde

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice Biffer! Maybe some of you like Phil a lot, I just can't deal with that fake smile and the way he treats people. Great to see a good guy like Ogilvy win.

Matt

mrodock said:
FREAKING AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!
He's a human being and I feel awful for him. Four times now a runner up in the Open.

How can anyone besides friends & family of Geoff Ogilvy be celebrating this?

I've never liked phonies, that's the whole explanation vj. Perhaps that makes me an insensitive jerk. Although I think it's difficult to feel all that sorry for someone in that position. (But I'm a hypocrite because I felt sorry for Monty). You either slam the door shut or you don't. You get ridiculous benefits from being a top golfer, and agony is one of the difficult things you have to deal with. All the greats had to deal with it, in championship golf it is unavoidable.

Disappointment is part of life and there are much worse things we have to deal with as humans. This disappointment is our own faults realistically, as a result of being entirely too wrapped up in being successful. I'm not a buddhist, but I think their idea of unattachment is a lot more enlightening than success being the thing to organize your life around. Not suggesting this is the way it is for Phil, but for many it is, hell for me it probably is.

Matt

Last edited:
Geoff won because he played the best golf. On the green surface, and in his head. Sane, stayed within himself.

So much of scoring is exactly about the sense, the mental sanity and balance, of what you are capable of and living within your means.

Michelson's true golfing skill showed itself on 18: an inability to make good judgment. There is raw ball-striking talent all over the world; the highest echelon is for the judicious. Kite, Peete, Funk, Maggert, and others of their ilk with less raw talent make it to the top in the world rankings from determination and good judgment. There are thousands of great ball-strikers out there, but Woods and Nicklaus got to the very top from mental toughness. Tiger is off track and will get back on: shows the world 1) that it IS about self control, and 2) how incredibly sensitive the short game and putting are when you take off a few weeks. Reminds me of my own rustiness around the green when my day job isn't practicing.

Not only poor decision making...Phil said.."I'm an idiot!" so he at least acknowledges that fact..but more exposed was the fact that his motion cannot hold up to the pressure of a major that requires precision and that his "Team Mickelson" and with their Smoke and Mirrors Approach which lacks precision...just got exposed....Rick Smith..nice dude..What have you guys done with Phils Swing..."Nothing!"...Dave Pelz..How have you helped Phil" "Given him some stats!"....Phils actually teaching you!!! Whose the Psych Coach on the Team?..."Oh yeah..he just got Fired!!!"

Monty ...I don't care for your game..but I pulled hard for you...171 yards and bent the plane line with an angled hinge = Short right!!! You're Dead..and I predicted to my wife that both of you would make double and Olgilvy would "sneek around the chicken coop and snatch up the victory"!!!!

NAT

Phil screwed up....he'll be back tho.

He's made great strides in the past few years and still is prolly the best golfer in the world at this point in time.

I think it's too early (and ridiculous cause he's already proved himself) to burn him at the stake for being a choker or can't cut it or w/e.....

I do think the guy makes some dumb course management decisions sometimes tho. Not a very hard thing to improve or that tough to understand but hey that's Phil.

I don't mind him really....dunno 100% what to think.....it's hard to judge what you see on TV only......and from news articles, gossip, etc......

I have to say though I thought he sounded like he was hepped up on some kind of goofballs or happy gas or something after he drained that putt to win his first Masters.....dood sounded like Ned Flanders....can't knock a guy for loving his family really and it obviously was a big moment for him but I'm sure I wasn't the only one who wanted to barf all over myself. (!!!)

Last edited:

EdZ

New
Perfect Impact said:
Geoff won because he played the best golf. On the green surface, and in his head. Sane, stayed within himself.

So much of scoring is exactly about the sense, the mental sanity and balance, of what you are capable of and living within your means.

Michelson's true golfing skill showed itself on 18: an inability to make good judgment. There is raw ball-striking talent all over the world; the highest echelon is for the judicious. Kite, Peete, Funk, Maggert, and others of their ilk with less raw talent make it to the top in the world rankings from determination and good judgment. There are thousands of great ball-strikers out there, but Woods and Nicklaus got to the very top from mental toughness. Tiger is off track and will get back on: shows the world 1) that it IS about self control, and 2) how incredibly sensitive the short game and putting are when you take off a few weeks. Reminds me of my own rustiness around the green when my day job isn't practicing.

Well said George.

Ogilvy had the best mental game and physical game down the stretch, and while Phil and Monty 'should' have at least gotten a playoff (along with Furyk) - the fact is, none of the rest of them stepped up when it mattered most.

Ogilvy played better than the rest, bottom line.

Sad to see Phil be so DUMB though. Very sad - with the slam in progress, it would have made for any even more exciting "Open Championship".

mrodock said:
I've never liked phonies, that's the whole explanation vj. Perhaps that makes me an insensitive jerk. Although I think it's difficult to feel all that sorry for someone in that position. (But I'm a hypocrite because I felt sorry for Monty). You either slam the door shut or you don't. You get ridiculous benefits from being a top golfer, and agony is one of the difficult things you have to deal with. All the greats had to deal with it, in championship golf it is unavoidable.

Disappointment is part of life and there are much worse things we have to deal with as humans. This disappointment is our own faults realistically, as a result of being entirely too wrapped up in being successful. I'm not a buddhist, but I think their idea of unattachment is a lot more enlightening than success being the thing to organize your life around. Not suggesting this is the way it is for Phil, but for many it is, hell for me it probably is.

Matt

Is Phil a phony? What do you guys see that I don't? I agree that he is a big goober, but a phony? I'm not sure about that.

Is he like Shooter McGavin when he's not in front of the camera?

cdog

New
Phil plays agressive, thats him.....he needs to know when to let others have to get aggressive to catch him...like the way Tiger does.

Phil made mental errors, so what, thats being a human....

Ogilvy backed in,

Let's face it, Ogilvy was thrilled to be in the hunt but had little pressure compared to Phil or Monty or Furyk.

Phil's second in the world only to Tiger, not bad I'd say. Lotta golfers would love the opportunity to maker a boner decision like he did.

You folks seem to forget that even pecentage shots need to be properly executed. Monty made 6 from the fairway and Phil could have done the same.

I don't know Phil and can't judge him for his personality from TV or print. I do however enjoy watching aggressive golfers playing with emotion and courage vs some robotic clone going thru the motions.

FIGJAM

On his game

No doubt he played the 2004 Masters, the 2005 PGA and the 2006 Masters as a true Champion.

I think it is fair to say that the old Phil Mickelson came out on Sunday. He made a number of seemingly odd (or very odd) decisions on that final day. Did he feel he owned it and didn't have to play the way he has to, but could afford playing the way he wanted?

Just an an exemple: The 515-yard par 5 5th should be a hole where he should at least get a good look at birdie every single day. He made par the first 3 days and bogey on sunday. I looked at the scorecard of every single player who made the cut. Only one of them played it worse than Mickelson. And only one (Skip Kendall) played it as bad as Phil. All other beat him on that hole. Most played it -2 for the week. Some played it -3 or even -5.

The 5th hole played 0,35 under par for the week. The only hole that played under par. By far the easiest hole of the tournament.

So I think its fair to say he lost at least 1 shot on that hole. At least.

Now his play on the Sunday.

1. Shot 1. Driver more or less 310 into the fairway bunker. 200 yards left. Not a goot lie. Ok. Could happen to anyone. But its downhill from here.
  2. Shot 2. Awkward stance. Hits a massive full-swing wedge or 9 :confused: over the fairway and into the deepest of deep rough on the opposite site of the fairway. 125 yards left.
  3. Shot 3. Ball practically buried in the rough. 125 yards. Takes out a wood. :confused: Takes a massive full swing at it - from 125 yards :confused: . Ball pops out and lands 1 yards in front of him. Still in the deep rough, but a better lie.
  4. Shot 4: Picks up a wedge and gets down in 3. Makes bogey.
I don't get it. As I do not get a number of other decisions during that round. Of which the deal on #18 is known to everyone.

phil5.png

On his popularity

I don't have a clue about the personality of Phil Mickelson. I can basically only say I enjoy listening to his post-game interviews - if he has won.

Anyway there is persistent discussions that Phil is not the most popular guy on tour. Start here to read about the FIGJAM deal. http://golf.about.com/b/a/238809.htm

Again I don't have a clue if the FIGJAM deal is worth a penny or what the other players think about him. But I think its fair to say that this is the source or such rumours - or truths.

Last edited:
Many players have a 'public persona' that is totally different than the real person.

They can project well to the public and media etc. but can be real "a-holes".

Bruce

Status
Not open for further replies.