Practice Habits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Excellent question

There is no shortage of information in the golf world on WHAT to practice.

There is very little information on HOW to practice effectively to create change.

Changing habits that are ingrained by years of repetition isn't easy. (Even Tiger took a while to get comfortable with his new swing changes.)

I know this can be a broad topic, but in your experience, are there any guidelines on HOW to most effectively do drills and exercises?

I love this question. For me, I find that I typically practice starting short irons and move up slowly to the woods. Sometimes when I was first trying to work on my flipping problem, I would go to the range and just work on chipping for two or more hours (you should have seen the folks staring at me, chipping, chipping, chipping.

Now, I alternate and go up from short to long and then go long to short every other range day.

I would love to know if there are better ways especially if it will save time.

PS: When I first began working on my flipping, I just chipped for about two months to break the habit. I find that I need to go back to that periodically to remind myself what the FLW and BRW feel like.

Hi guys,

The British Marines discovered that when teaching unarmed combat it takes a recruit (or anyone else for that matter) roughly 2000 repetiotion of the same movement before it became an automated action/reaction.

With their training schedule that amounted to about three weeks.

Therefore, even if you only want to change on single thing, it will be 2000 CONCIOUS repetitions later before you can say it is truly ingrained.

There is no shortcut. You have to do the repetitions. That simple....sorry...:)

bray

New
I believe certain changes are much easier made indoors with a foam ball. This way the result is taken away somewhat so that you can focus more on changing the motion.

Sorting Through the Duffer's Bible.

B-Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.