Practice vs Play

Status
Not open for further replies.
I asked this in another thread but not on topic so I'll try it here:

For the lower single digits and scratch players how is your frame of mind different from the range to the course? Do you get bogged down by swing thoughts when inconsistency creeps in? Do you have a clear mind when playing well?

I find I get thinking too much about mechanics during a round and I'm sure I'm not alone. Sometimes I'm so focussed on a position or alignment my body gets paralyzed :(

CW

Millrat said:

For the lower single digits and scratch players how is your frame of mind different from the range to the course? Do you get bogged down by swing thoughts when inconsistency creeps in? Do you have a clear mind when playing well?

I find I get thinking too much about mechanics during a round and I'm sure I'm not alone. Sometimes I'm so focussed on a position or alignment my body gets paralyzed :(

CW
I was just reading on another site about a 65-70 player who said that he was just reminded about how fantastic Clearkey was, it is something like a single thought or song or something that clues in your body to work on automatic. He said he plays much better when he uses this.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Millrat said:

CW

On the range it's all about practice. Maybe practice certain clubs or certain shots i might be playing the next time i plan to play. Maybe it's just working on my shot making. I like to practice hitting it high/low, fade/draw, etc etc with all clubs.

On the course it's all about the target. I first decide the shot i'm going to use (straight/fade/draw/high/low) and the club i'm going to use. Then i committ to that shot and become very target focussed. Seeing nothing but the flight of the ball in my mind at the target.

I then go through a very specific setup routine and a certain waggle to keep me on plane. I set the club on the ground and give it a "tap tap" and let her rip.

Usually the result is pretty good ;).

One thing I have found that helps a lot is to be really exacting on the range. Pick a specific target and be accountable to each shot. That is, examine whether it was hit solidly and at the target (within a few yards, depending on club). I try to use a higher standard than I might on the course. For instance, I am aiming at about a 10 yard "fairway" on the range with my driver. This may not be worthwhile when you are working on a big swing change, but when you feel that you are swinging pretty good I think it is huge to put pressure on your swing during practice. I've read somewhere that a person (or was it a bear) keeps a practice log and writes down how many 8 irons landed within 15 feet of the stick, how many drivers would have hit a 30 yard fairway, etc. and compares statistics. This is a little too obsessive for me, but I think it is worthwhile.

The main idea of this strategy is to be honest with yourself. So many people say, I hit it great on the range, why don't I hit it worth a crap on the course. Usually I've seen this person hit it on the range, and it was pretty crappy. No consequences on the range usually results in rose-colored glasses. After all this "range pressure" I just try to freewheel it on the course.

Matt

mrodock said:
One thing I have found that helps a lot is to be really exacting on the range. Pick a specific target and be accountable to each shot. That is, examine whether it was hit solidly and at the target (within a few yards, depending on club). I try to use a higher standard than I might on the course. For instance, I am aiming at about a 10 yard "fairway" on the range with my driver. This may not be worthwhile when you are working on a big swing change, but when you feel that you are swinging pretty good I think it is huge to put pressure on your swing during practice. I've read somewhere that a person (or was it a bear) keeps a practice log and writes down how many 8 irons landed within 15 feet of the stick, how many drivers would have hit a 30 yard fairway, etc. and compares statistics. This is a little too obsessive for me, but I think it is worthwhile.

The main idea of this strategy is to be honest with yourself. So many people say, I hit it great on the range, why don't I hit it worth a crap on the course. Usually I've seen this person hit it on the range, and it was pretty crappy. No consequences on the range usually results in rose-colored glasses. After all this "range pressure" I just try to freewheel it on the course.

Matt

My issue (one of my issues) when practicing at the range is that I'm really focussing hard on alignments, 3 Es, divot pattern, and not really paying much attention to direction or trajectory.

Then I take this frame of mind to the golf course, killer.

I do see the value in your suggestion though, I just think your further down the path than I.

CW

Status
Not open for further replies.