Pressure/Weight

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe some studies were done a few years ago that showed that the weight(or pressure) at IMPACT varied from tour player to tour player.

Some had more weight on the lead food at IMPACT, some had more on their back foot, etc., with the driver. Irons may show a difference in the readings.

What do you think determines the differences here? Pivot, Ball Position, Hitting or Swinging, etc.?

Is there a difference in pressure and weight?

There is a BIG difference between weight shift and pressure shift. On the BS Hogan was moving to the left almost as soon as his club started back - no weight shift to the right foot.

MizunoJoe,

Yes, that is what John Schlee was talking about... a dynamic weight shift, not a static shift. If the weight gets back on the left foot early, before the backswing is completed, one can then really utilize the #4 accumulator. There are some that have the pressure on the other(trail) leg at impact. What about these guys? What determines this difference?

lagster,

Hogan still had pressure on the inside forward part of the right foot at impact, but his weight was on the left heel. The pressure on the left heel is simply from his weight being over it. The pressure on the right foot lessens as the swing goes to follow through, and the amount of pressure is a combination of weight pressure and push off pressure. The amount of push off pressure varies from player to player. Some players just fall onto their left foot, while some push off the right foot, especially those who make a lateral shift onto the back foot, which requires a right foot push for the big lateral shift back.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
I saw a guy at the show klast year with one of those 'weight-transfer-measuring' devices.

He was convinced that all great players had cross-line hip movement on the downswing.

I say baloney.

Good response MizunoJoe! Do you see value in the weight or pressure measuring devices? I think they have one at The P.G.A. Learning Center.

EdZ

New
quote:Originally posted by brianman

I saw a guy at the show klast year with one of those 'weight-transfer-measuring' devices.

He was convinced that all great players had cross-line hip movement on the downswing.

I say baloney.

I'd say he was confusing cross line hip action with the 'results' of cross line hip action - being able to extend the right arm fully - from the 'inside'.

Split grip drills will show you what that extension feels like. You don't need to have cross line action to get there, but it makes it easier to get the feel.

Status
Not open for further replies.