Pro Divots

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can someone explain to me how the pros take such a a long horizontal divot?
My divots are very steep. I know I am doing something wrong but I can't figure it out.
They have to be coming in less steep but how do they do that?

Last edited:

ZAP

New
Do a little reading on hub path. I t has a lot to do with how much more shallow their angle of attack is and the path of the CP.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
It isn't the easiest thing to train.

The #1 piece of the IN & UP hand movement is the push up from the left foot toward the left ear—pivot wise.

To do that, you HAVE TO get the weight left early.

This is really the holy grail for most amateur golfers. My divots are always really pro-like when I swing without a ball. :D As soon as you put a ball in front of me they get:

1. Steeper
2. Shorter
3. Start further back

Almost without question, you could only look at the divot of a golfer after they've hit a shot and tell how good they are.

The left foot push up and the hands going up and in while the club is going down and out is good stuff Brian. Thanks.

I also think the Pro's hold the angle much longer into the down-swing than the average amateur does. Most golfers release much earlier. They have to in order to square the face up in time. I don't worry about the divot anymore. I've hit some of my best iron shots with a very small or even no divot. Most of us hackers are happy with simultaneous ball turf contact. :cool:

I too can hit any spot on the ground as forward as you'd like to see, but when there's a ball there it all changes.

Without a doubt the toughest thing for the average hacker to do is hit the little ball before the big ball. It's the number one reason that makes golf so hard.

Last edited:

Erik_K

New
The 'ball hunting' mentality often kicks in when the ball is actually present. The swing becomes much too aggressive - shoulders take over, shaft gets way over the plane and becomes steep, the path may be overly out - to - in, etc.

It does indeed take a TON of discipline to trust the swing and not to pour on the MPH just because the ball is there. If the downswing is rushed, casting is likely the next thing to happen and it's possible to hit it thin or fat.

In order to shallow out the path, you can try a number of things. What sometimes works for me, is to stand up just a touch at address so the iron is barely touching the ground. Make a few practice swings and focus on just lightly brushing the turf. Try this a few times and then go ahead and really add some 'oomph' -- chances are you will hit it fat and/or take a divot that really plows into the ground.

When I want to work the ball from left to right or right to left, I focus on not trying to really hit down on the ball too much. I find that a 'skinny' divot results me being able to hit draws or fades. But I get too steep, all bets are off.

joep

New
It isn't the easiest thing to train.

The #1 piece of the IN & UP hand movement is the push up from the left foot toward the left ear—pivot wise.

To do that, you HAVE TO get the weight left early.

That is really hard for me to do,I tried it often. How about staying on the left side tru the swing. If so how is it done, swing wise??

Burner

New
By repetitive training on the practice tee. Lift your left foot on the back swing and then stamp down onto it to start the down swing.

Their hands are moving UP AND IN while the club is moving down and out.

I have been thinking about this statement for two days and at first I thought I was missing something. Then I watched Brian's expanation of someone's iron swing and I went to the range and I figured out what Brian meant. I understand now and working on it.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure that there are many other factors affecting the direction of the hands, and that this push up from the ground is just one of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.