Project 1.68 and training aids

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brian and other academy members,

Based on your research, are there any thoughts as to what training aids, if any, might help produce desirable swing patterns? If not, is there any thought of producing some Manzella-approved training aids?

For right now, is there anything out there which might help with swing path/use of the hands? Perhaps Martin Chuck's Tour Striker or "Educator?"

gumper

P.S.- Has putting been part of your research?

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
A mirror is always the best training aid. I haven't seen anything at all that would help with what you're asking about. However, I haven't been to the merchandising show in years so I must include that. Lots of things, though, will ingrained the opposite. The big swing circle, a plane board, those silly clickers to hold lag, etc.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Gumper,

I always hope for great training aids. There are a few good ones you know of.

The PGA SHOW is right around the corner, I'm looking and will video a few of them.

hp12c

New
Brian and other academy members,

Based on your research, are there any thoughts as to what training aids, if any, might help produce desirable swing patterns? If not, is there any thought of producing some Manzella-approved training aids?

For right now, is there anything out there which might help with swing path/use of the hands? Perhaps Martin Chuck's Tour Striker or "Educator?"

gumper

P.S.- Has putting been part of your research?

The tour striker is a great club. For me I have a habit of standing up on the shot. The TS helped to almost make it gone, old habits die hard. Highly recommend it.

With the holidays around the corner I was wondering if any forum members have had a chance to view this new gadget on the market called The SwingTIP. Here is the link - SwingTIP – Personal Golf Swing Analysis Review : The Hackers Paradise . Its received good feedback for the way it attaches securely to the club, the weight of the device and for me the price $129 which is somewhere in the middle for other similiar devices on the market. I'm sure some people will say save your money and spend it on a lesson which is true. But since I have a hitting net in my garage and also live up north I was more thinking of using it to monitor my swing in the offseason.

ej20

New
With the holidays around the corner I was wondering if any forum members have had a chance to view this new gadget on the market called The SwingTIP. Here is the link - SwingTIP – Personal Golf Swing Analysis Review : The Hackers Paradise . Its received good feedback for the way it attaches securely to the club, the weight of the device and for me the price $129 which is somewhere in the middle for other similiar devices on the market. I'm sure some people will say save your money and spend it on a lesson which is true. But since I have a hitting net in my garage and also live up north I was more thinking of using it to monitor my swing in the offseason.

I wouldn't buy one until it has been verfied reasonably accurate on a trackman or flightscope.

There was a test done and apparently a device called the Swing Smart came closest to trackman numbers.It cost 250 so can be considered a poor man's trackman.

I've been researching all these type of devices the past few days and if the test you are refering to (MyGolfSpy) is the same one I read, the SwingTip devices wasn't on the market yet so, they didn't include it in there comparision of Swing Smart, Golf Sense and Swing Byte.

In the review I read SwingTIP claims: that it is within 2-3 MPH of FlightScope or TrackMan. Obviously some of the other numbers trackman can produce will be limited by the technolgy of a $129 device.

ej20

New
I've been researching all these type of devices the past few days and if the test you are refering to (MyGolfSpy) is the same one I read, the SwingTip devices wasn't on the market yet so, they didn't include it in there comparision of Swing Smart, Golf Sense and Swing Byte.

In the review I read SwingTIP claims: that it is within 2-3 MPH of FlightScope or TrackMan. Obviously some of the other numbers trackman can produce will be limited by the technolgy of a $129 device.

Golfspy was the review I was referring to.They had a trackman to compare them with and Swing Smart came the closest.It is also the the most expensive.

I read the review of the Swing Tip but they did not mention having an industry standard measuring device like trackman or flightscope to compare with.It just said that Swing Tip claims it is within 2-3 mph.

The Swing Smart was given mostly A's and B's when compared to trackman so if I were to get one of these devices it would be this one.

I've been using the SwingByte for a while now and even though I don't believe what it tells me with respect to path, clubface (mainly due to alignment I guess) etc it is still very useful to see the swing in 3D.
I am currently working on a swing change. I used to have a bit of a chicken wing with a clockwise rolling of my shoulder at the top of my backswing that lead to a nice loop on the SwingByte 3D graph. I am now working on laying off the shaft so that I can later tumble it.
I can see after every swing whether I moved back to old habits or whether I am doing it better now. Perfect in this situation as you get feedback for every swing.

The 3D graph itself is very consistent, meaning if you do the same swing you get the same result, if you change something you are seeing it. So I guess it is just a matter of time until they sort the other figures. They could have done the attachment better though!

Btw. you can download the apps for SwingTip, SwingSmart, SwingByte etc and play around with it. I thought the SwingByte app was the best with respect to 3D view. It allows you to view it from all possible angles while other apps either don't have a real 3D view or only have a limited amout of view angles (e.g. down the line, front , top etc)

Last edited:
I tried a friends tour striker and had no problem hitting it but it didn't cure my goat lol
Make sure you hit it of a hard lie. Best is of real grass but if you practise of a matt make sure it is rock hard. I've noticed that you can cheat it a bit if you have a bouncy/soft matt.

Make sure you hit it of a hard lie. Best is of real grass but if you practise of a matt make sure it is rock hard. I've noticed that you can cheat it a bit if you have a bouncy/soft matt.

Eggzactly. Come down steep on a soft mat and you can cheat it.

ej20

New
I've been using the SwingByte for a while now and even though I don't believe what it tells me with respect to path, clubface (mainly due to alignment I guess) etc it is still very useful to see the swing in 3D.
I am currently working on a swing change. I used to have a bit of a chicken wing with a clockwise rolling of my shoulder at the top of my backswing that lead to a nice loop on the SwingByte 3D graph. I am now working on laying off the shaft so that I can later tumble it.
I can see after every swing whether I moved back to old habits or whether I am doing it better now. Perfect in this situation as you get feedback for every swing.

The 3D graph itself is very consistent, meaning if you do the same swing you get the same result, if you change something you are seeing it. So I guess it is just a matter of time until they sort the other figures. They could have done the attachment better though!

Btw. you can download the apps for SwingTip, SwingSmart, SwingByte etc and play around with it. I thought the SwingByte app was the best with respect to 3D view. It allows you to view it from all possible angles while other apps either don't have a real 3D view or only have a limited amout of view angles (e.g. down the line, front , top etc)

Swing Byte claims to have updated their algorithyms and software to be more in line with trackman but I don't know how good a job they did without having it re reviewed by mygolfspy.You can't always believe the claims made by these companies.Taylormade claims their drivers get more distance every year for the past 20 years so I really should be driving the ball 400 yards now.

These devices claim they measure AOA but that's not really true.They are measuring shaft lean but that is still a very useful measurement and Swing Smart was tested to be very accurate doing that.

I might get one next year when they iron out all the bugs.

Status
Not open for further replies.