Putting Drills for Touch

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am having a bit of trouble controlling the speed on my putts. I've been striking the ball well lately, but I haven't been converting many birdie opportunities because I haven't been stroking the ball with consistently good speed.

What are your best tips or drills for gaining control of your roll?

I think it's important to be goal/target oriented on the course....

Minimal technique focus on the course.

ESP. with putting.

Positive 'whats' over the ball....save the 'how' for practice.

If you have a good stroke....and the mechanics aren't overly overly hard at all to get down......then it's mostly mental after that.

When you're on your best you'll naturally be target oriented....there's no other worries in your head.

Last edited:

Damon Lucas

Super Moderator
Putting drills

VJ,

Put a club on the far side of the fall line and putt towards the hole without hitting the club.Try to make the the putt.

Take 3 balls and starting at 3 feet. Put a club 3 feet behind the putt. Now try to make each putt. If you miss, it is a 'success if you get past the front edge and short of the club AND you miss on the high side. Three successes and you take a pace away, to six feet. When you miss, start again at 3 feet. See how far you can go back.

Putt balls into the fringe(should be about two feet wide)

bts

New
vjcapron said:
I am having a bit of trouble controlling the speed on my putts. I've been striking the ball well lately, but I haven't been converting many birdie opportunities because I haven't been stroking the ball with consistently good speed.

Putt into a lie-down paper cup and get it stand up.

EdZ

New
vjcapron said:

"chase" - use two balls, pick a spot on the green (no hole) and hit the first ball to that spot. Setup, then close your eyes and try to hit the first ball with your second.

Works very well, especially on crowed greens with no open holes to aim to, on both short and long range putts.

geoffb

New
Give your brain the visuals

I was having distance issues some time back. I think it was because I was concentrating so much on the line and my stroke that I forgot how far I had to hit it.

Now I initially practice putting by looking at the hole instead of the ball. It doesn't take long before my distance is dialled in at which point I go back to looking at the ball and putting with my usual technique.

Spend some time at the start of your practice session putting while looking at the hole instead of the ball. It works for me :)

Feel the speed

VJ Feel the speed with your practice strokes will looking at the hole.I know your having trouble because I was there.I will get better when you really feel it.

bcoak

New
Are you making up your mind before you stroke on whether you want to play it firm or have it die in the hole?

bcoak said:
Are you making up your mind before you stroke on whether you want to play it firm or have it die in the hole?

I think I've been "seeing the line", but I haven't been "seeing the speed". I must work on that. I've been a "mental midget" on the greens lately (no offense to the little people :) ).

Status
Not open for further replies.