Putting Grip!

Status
Not open for further replies.
After another 38 putt round today (still broke 80, but it should have been so much better), I've decided I need to work seriously on my putting.

I've switched back to a conventional putter, and I'm trying to work on fundamentals. I want to take a grip with wherein both the club runs right through the lifeline of both hands - putting both forearms on plane.

For as long as I can remember, I've used a reverse double overlap putting grip, but I find that trying to get the club to setup as described above (and as seems to be recommended by many), I don't really have a good grip on the club with my left hand - those two fingers that are on the club are barely there. (This may be exacerbated by the fact that I have very small hands.)

So I'm thinking of switching to a single reverse overlap: palms opposing, both thumbs straight down the shaft, left hand pinky hooked between right hand middle and ring fingers, with right hand index finger hooked a bit down the shaft.

This grip feels a bit odd to me because the hands are so much more separated. It takes more space on the grip. But it also feels like I have both hands more solidly on the club, that they are still in a neutral position, and that this makes it possible for me to get the forearms right in line with the shaft.

What type of putting grip do you all use? What do you recommend and why? All thoughts much appreciated. Given my current putting woes, I'm willing to try some things that feel uncomfortable or odd if I think it will help me become a better putter.

i reverse single overlap, and it feels more comfortable to me when putting, simply because i have used it for so long now, and if i do happen to normal overlap it feels very strange

my right forefinger goes down the shaft and both my palms face each other. i also have the butt of the club sticking in the heel pad of my left hand

After another 38 putt round today (still broke 80, but it should have been so much better), I've decided I need to work seriously on my putting.

I've switched back to a conventional putter, and I'm trying to work on fundamentals. I want to take a grip with wherein both the club runs right through the lifeline of both hands - putting both forearms on plane.

For as long as I can remember, I've used a reverse double overlap putting grip, but I find that trying to get the club to setup as described above (and as seems to be recommended by many), I don't really have a good grip on the club with my left hand - those two fingers that are on the club are barely there. (This may be exacerbated by the fact that I have very small hands.)

So I'm thinking of switching to a single reverse overlap: palms opposing, both thumbs straight down the shaft, left hand pinky hooked between right hand middle and ring fingers, with right hand index finger hooked a bit down the shaft.

This grip feels a bit odd to me because the hands are so much more separated. It takes more space on the grip. But it also feels like I have both hands more solidly on the club, that they are still in a neutral position, and that this makes it possible for me to get the forearms right in line with the shaft.

What type of putting grip do you all use? What do you recommend and why? All thoughts much appreciated. Given my current putting woes, I'm willing to try some things that feel uncomfortable or odd if I think it will help me become a better putter.

I have found a grip that has worked for me....
1. grip lies right down the lifeline in the left had with left thumb right down the shaft.

2. The right hand is placed on the grip just like a conventional overlap grip except I overlap with the pinky and the ring finger(it lies between the forefinger and the middle finger while the pinky lies between the middle finger and the ring finger.

I have found this unifies my hands and keeps the right hand from doing too much. I focus on pp#3 pushing the shaft which keeps a nice solid bend in the right wrist (much harder to break down thru impact)

As for practice ..have you tried putting some with only the left hand and some with only the right hand? This has really helped me.

Good Luck..let me know how it works out.

Claw grip- reason: my right hand gets in the way. Keep the putter arcing and try to hold my finish. I hit it more solid / roll is tighter. Also went back to a blade -cameron. Problem is my game is a teeter tooter, one part get good, the other isnt. SD 1.0 please help!

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
First, find out why you putted so bad. Was it poor speed control? Or was it direction control?

Before i'd move into a new grip, i'd figure out which i was doing wrong and then see if my grip is contributing to that.

First, find out why you putted so bad. Was it poor speed control? Or was it direction control?

Before i'd move into a new grip, i'd figure out which i was doing wrong and then see if my grip is contributing to that.

Well, the problem is that this wasn't really putting all that bad for me of late! I've been averaging 35-38 putts per round for the past couple of months. One problem is that I've had a lot of long putts; I've been hitting about 12-14 GIR, but not hitting it close (and missing when I do). The greens at my course have gotten VERY difficult to putt (on a number of greens, above the pin is an automatic 3 putt, as you an barely keep it on the green).

So sometimes I misread putts; sometimes I misjudge distance. I wouldn't say my direction is all that bad, but I have surely pushed or pulled a few short putts.

I guess what I'm saying is that I'm not really trying to 'change my grip' as I am trying to learn how to putt. My 8 month experiment with the belly putter seems to have failed - at least in that I didn't become a very good putter with it- though I think I understand some things about the stroke now that I didn't know before.

Going back to conventional seems new and strange, so I thought it would be a good time to retool everything, starting with my grip.

Thanks for all the feedback!

I always go back to a double overlap with a right hand that's turned to the right a bit.

Don't know why but it feels right to me. And if I vertical-ize (AKA neutral-ize) my right hand I seem to be too succeptible to pulls.

Last edited:

Well, the problem is that this wasn't really putting all that bad for me of late! I've been averaging 35-38 putts per round for the past couple of months. One problem is that I've had a lot of long putts; I've been hitting about 12-14 GIR, but not hitting it close (and missing when I do). The greens at my course have gotten VERY difficult to putt (on a number of greens, above the pin is an automatic 3 putt, as you an barely keep it on the green).

So sometimes I misread putts; sometimes I misjudge distance. I wouldn't say my direction is all that bad, but I have surely pushed or pulled a few short putts.

I guess what I'm saying is that I'm not really trying to 'change my grip' as I am trying to learn how to putt. My 8 month experiment with the belly putter seems to have failed - at least in that I didn't become a very good putter with it- though I think I understand some things about the stroke now that I didn't know before.

Going back to conventional seems new and strange, so I thought it would be a good time to retool everything, starting with my grip.

Thanks for all the feedback!

Fronesis,
Using the belly putter forces you to use the muscles differently, ie. in opposition to a normal putter, where you let it "hang from your hands," the b/putter makes you pull on the putter, to ensure it is anchored into your stomach..This means there is more tension in your biceps and upper arm...

I would try practicing one-handed (right) for an hour or so. You will naturally find an adjustment of the grip to make the ball go straight ("palm at the target" works quite well, and it is also a great distance-control exercise). After a while simply add your left hand on the grip, so it is COMFORTABLE....then putt using the same right hand motion...the left just goes along for the ride...

Keep it simple folks.....:)

Status
Not open for further replies.