"Putting" line on golf ball

Status
Not open for further replies.
This summer, I started placing a line on the golf ball. I match the line on the ball with the target, then match the horizontal line on the putter with the line on the ball, trust it, and fully give my attention to speed. When I do this, I tend to have good results.

While playing the other day, I could not accept and trust the line even when standing behind the ball and the line on the ball appeared to be dead on to the target. I never felt comfortable stroking the putt unless I turned the ball to a point where the line was no longer visible. The lineup appeared to be left of the target when taking stance (when my putting is erratic, it feels as if I am lining up to the right of target).

Anyway, just wondering if others have tried a line on the ball or its equivalent, had success or failure with this approach, maybe some suggestions to fine tune.

BigD

New
I have tried the same thing for years and have the same issues. Except, When I stand over the ball, the line looks too far right. I think it has something to do with my right eye dominance. I have stopped using the line and trust my eyes and putter head. I wish I could do this correctly without second guessing.

Damon Lucas

Super Moderator
The line across your ball will be a distraction/appear to be wrong IF
1. Your head is angled in the wrong inclination ....you need to make sure your eyeline/skull line matches the intended line of the putt;
2. You are not looking straight at the ball ...ie you are looking down your cheekbones at the ball(or more insidiously, up your eyebrows);
3. Poor visual processing - this means that your eyes are wandering to the shape of the putter, or the hoseling, or the coloring, instead of using the line, or the putter face(in a perpendicular relationship to the ball).

The line across your ball will be a distraction/appear to be wrong IF
1. Your head is angled in the wrong inclination ....you need to make sure your eyeline/skull line matches the intended line of the putt;
2. You are not looking straight at the ball ...ie you are looking down your cheekbones at the ball(or more insidiously, up your eyebrows);
3. Poor visual processing - this means that your eyes are wandering to the shape of the putter, or the hoseling, or the coloring, instead of using the line, or the putter face(in a perpendicular relationship to the ball).

Should my vision be directly over the ball without any head tilt east or west? My head tilts downward, south, over the ball. While practicing, I will drop a ball from my eye socket to see where the ball will drop to check eye alignment. Maybe I need to tilt more south or down to get past the cheekbones.

I have a very large perpindicular line on the clubface. When it gets bad, I try the perpendicular line relative to target, and see if I can trick my mind to see the 90 degree target line. By then, though, it's over (literally ball turned over to hide line!).

Thoughts about placement of the ball on the green relative to the line crosses my mind. If the line is even the slightest left or right of center, will it affect my peripheral vision and throw my line off completely. Again, at this point it's "over".

I now use a line to line myself up as well. One small adjustment I am incorporating is, somewhat like Furyk, getting a general idea of the speed by standing over the ball and taking a practice stroke or 2 before setting the line from behind the ball.

I try to estimate the speed in a quick fashion, so as not to take too long.

I have found that works nicely. Whereas before, I would set the line, then when standing over the putt, my feet would tell me not to trust the line, or my sense of how hard to stroke the putt, wouldn't feel right with the line I had already chosen.

I don't think my routine is any longer than it was, as I do things at a pretty quick pace.

Damon Lucas

Super Moderator
Eyes over the ball is a pretty standard piece of instruction, albeit incomplete!

If your eyes are over the ball(ok), then you need to be looking straight at the ball(face parallel to the ground);

If your eyes are inside the ball(also ok), then again you need to be looking straight at the ball, though this time your face will be tilted up a little;

Both are ok, but with the second instance, your line on the ball will 'appear' to be off, seeing that you probably placed the ball such that the line went over the top middle of the ball.

Eye dominance is immaterial!
Eye/Head 'rotation' is pretty immaterial if the above factors are taken care of!

Ya I always get shaky on my line (over the putt I mean) when my eyes are inside. I like over the ball.

Nicklaus always comes to mind.

Tourdeep,

I have the exact same problem as you. Try this. Line up putts with the line on the ball perpendicular to your target.

So instead of: - - Try: - l

And square up the blade with the line on the ball.

I have another problem. Usually after I line up the ball and get up, the ine on the ball is usually not where I want it to point! And I am often embarrassed to mark the ball and do it again.

But when the line is perfect, I often can putt it straight.

Guys,
You don't need lines on your balls...:D

Simply pick an interim aiming point about 12-18 inches in front of your ball on your target line and line your putter up to that....

Eyes over the ball is a pretty standard piece of instruction, albeit incomplete!

If your eyes are over the ball(ok), then you need to be looking straight at the ball(face parallel to the ground);

If your eyes are inside the ball(also ok), then again you need to be looking straight at the ball, though this time your face will be tilted up a little;

Both are ok, but with the second instance, your line on the ball will 'appear' to be off, seeing that you probably placed the ball such that the line went over the top middle of the ball.

Eye dominance is immaterial!
Eye/Head 'rotation' is pretty immaterial if the above factors are taken care of!

apparently, my eyes drifted inward. Having a chance on the putting range to work on it, my eyes are over the ball, more face down to the ball, and the trust of the line came back.

I started playing around with the position of the eye to ball relationship. Ball appearing between eyes and ball over the left eye. Both produced good results. Is there a preference for better putting or is what feels comfortable?

Also, been working with a "strike and swipe" to see where contact is made on the putter face. If my eyes are over with the ball in the middle or at my nose, the contact is on the middle of the face, probably what's preferred. If I move club forward, that is the ball over the left eye or even forward of it, the contact happens on the lower portion of the face, a result of hitting up on the ball.

The results I am looking for are to minimize the skidding or bounce of the ball and obviuosly, having a nice pure roll.

Guys,
You don't need lines on your balls...:D

Simply pick an interim aiming point about 12-18 inches in front of your ball on your target line and line your putter up to that....

Are you talking golf or intructions on how to insert it properly??!!!!

I've always picked the spot thing in the past with good success. And I still do with longer putts combined with the line thing.

Tourdeep,

I have the exact same problem as you. Try this. Line up putts with the line on the ball perpendicular to your target.

So instead of: - - Try: - l

And square up the blade with the line on the ball.

Hi Earlyman

I'v given the perpindicular perspective and did not have much success. But I also did not give it an honest try.

The face of my putter has a huge perpindiuclar line on it, and I've tried placing a smaller version of the "T" on a ball. I then lined up the railroad tracks and had the I--I look. At that point, I think I was getting slightly carried away!!!!

Good tip to see if your right or left eye dominant is use the ole toliet paper cardboard (after your finished). Yeah its funny but it works, and works 5x better when your on different breaking putts -why? incorrect setups occur on different breaks cause we worry about the break. My best putting tip is simple, I switched to the claw grip and make two practice stroke and hit it, even for putting green to money matches. Otherwise people get the NFL kicker syndrome lol....I do if I sit over the ball.....short term memory has a ticker.

Damon Lucas

Super Moderator
apparently, my eyes drifted inward. Having a chance on the putting range to work on it, my eyes are over the ball, more face down to the ball, and the trust of the line came back.

I started playing around with the position of the eye to ball relationship. Ball appearing between eyes and ball over the left eye. Both produced good results. Is there a preference for better putting or is what feels comfortable?

Also, been working with a "strike and swipe" to see where contact is made on the putter face. If my eyes are over with the ball in the middle or at my nose, the contact is on the middle of the face, probably what's preferred. If I move club forward, that is the ball over the left eye or even forward of it, the contact happens on the lower portion of the face, a result of hitting up on the ball.

The results I am looking for are to minimize the skidding or bounce of the ball and obviuosly, having a nice pure roll.

Sounds like you took care of the line issue!

Puttmad made the point that it is better to not use the line at all. His opinion is backed up by some research done by David Orr that people who use lines generally aim very badly.

For me, this just shows that a lot of people use poor head positioning and gaze control.

His idea that you should aim for a spot 12 - 18 inches ahead is good advice for most people as long as you keep your eyes on that spot as you walk into the ball. Unfortunately, a good aiming proceedure to 'that' point gets muddled by the head turn and erratic visual control from when you walk into the ball until you pull the trigger.

On the other point as to where you should position the ball with respect to the middle or front of your stance. This is determined by a number of factors;
1. Type of stroke-if you have any kind of tilted or arcing stroke it better be as near as possible to the bottom of your stroke to ensure a straight roll;
2. If you're more square through the impact interval, then it depends on the dynamic loft of your putter.

Eye dominance does not matter when you are over the putt, nor does it matter during the execution of the putt(nor does any visual process).

Comfortable mostly means habitual...not necessarily a good thing!

interestingly enough,*research and studies show a line on the ball only improved a small portion of people's aim*, other important factors include being able to aim your putter, neck tilt, touch, etc

I have been using a line on my ball for 2 years, with good results. Whenever I have a day where my eyes play tricks on me, I'll spend 30 mins or an hour rolling 3 to 8 footers with an elevated aimline...usually does the trick.

Leek

New
I used to do this. Now I just buy balls that have a good line built in. ProV1s and Srixon Z-URC and Z-URS are very good for this. I always putt this way, unless I am practicing my creativity. Then I just leave a ball however it lies. Look at the putt from the side only and try to feel first line, then speed.

When it counts though, I use the built in lines.

His idea that you should aim for a spot 12 - 18 inches ahead is good advice for most people as long as you keep your eyes on that spot as you walk into the ball. Unfortunately, a good aiming proceedure to 'that' point gets muddled by the head turn and erratic visual control from when you walk into the ball until you pull the trigger.

I know exactly what you're talking about and it drives me nuts. I always lose the "spot."

Status
Not open for further replies.