PUTTING ON PLANE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Putting on the CLUBSHAFT PLANE, as I understand it, is very similar or identical to putting on an ARC. Putting STRAIGHT BACK AND THROUGH would be like putting with the toe of your club running along a baseboard.

Those of you that putt on an ARC... Do you use Horizontal Hinging or Angled Hinging? Where exactly do you position the ball in your stance? Do you strike slightly on the inside quadrant, or on the back of the ball?

Any comments on Homer's suggestion for putting: Open stance, one power pushing stroke to both arm straight. I use this stroke with a open stance, say 30 degree open for both feet, and the stroke is staight back and forth, a little pushing on the right forearm only, no movement on shoulder and both arm straight. It seems that the puttingarc is not useful for this putting stroke.

A couple of years ago I could not get enough of putting. I wanted to know the plane angle, the hinge action needed, the grip type, etc.. What I know now is the putter moves not on the plane of the clubshaft but that of the "left shoulder" TGM. I don't have my book in front of me but I believe it is either turned shoulder or turning squared shoulder plane angle 10-7 I think. This is because during the putting stroke the thorasic vertebrate move while everything else is basically zeroed out, this is what Homer knew so long ago. I believe if you use the quarter drill that Manzella talks about to secure down plane impact and the putting arc you will get tons better. For more info go the Theputtingzone.com. lots of info there on everything putting.

Interesting!! 10-6-C is Squared Shoulder Plane... the book does indeed say that the LEFT SHOULDER is the reference point used here for putting.

Do you use the ARC device, or set up a plane board on the Squared Plane Angle? Do you Zero out #3?

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Anyone watching the event this weekend where they showed someone on tour practicing on the putting green? Anyone see what he was doing?

Oh thats right, he had some quarters down behind the ball so he'd make sure he'd make solid contact with the center of the ball. ;)

In reply,

Manzella, thanks for the forum. I have heard a lot of good things about your teaching and came here to learn just like everyone else. Unfortunately I don't understand the former question but I will continue posting on some different information anyway.

I want to share some very interesting information. It is from an old Bobby Locke book. Here are his main points concerning the putter:
1 Stand far enough away to create an arc
2 Rotate the top three fingers of left hand counter clockwise to hood the face
3 Swing the putterhead to the outside on the forward stroke
4 Actually lock the left wrist during the forward stroke
5 Hold the left shoulder "level" and not allowing it to rise on the forward stroke to preserve the "hood"
6 Don't aim to far out of the hole
7 Take the putter back far enough to build potential energy

The great thing about Mr. Kelley's work is that it doesn't contain any compensations. While MR. Locke was one of the very best, if he truly did the above he was putting with strong double action grip and breaking his plane line. not very efficient for the golf world. I also find "striking" similarities to this and the newest guru to putting in the media.

Not to argue law or principle because all I know comes from TGM. However, keeping the part of the club closest to the ground pointing along the plane line is principle in the putting stroke. So whatever we do let us keep the head of the putter traveling in plane. From here select a hinge action. Mr. Kelley enjoyed mentions using the vertical hinge in 12-5 and 12-6 of an early edition of TGM. I feel the face of the putter should rotate as manzella does.

How much? The face should remain square to the path the putter head (as inscribed on the ground) as it moves back,up,in and down,out,forward. Yes. On plane

WHat Hinge Action? While the angled hinge has the face closing and laying back-the horizontal hinge has only the face closing- and the vertical hinge has only laying back properties. For the face to remain square to the path the hinge is probably angled with its tendency toward horizontal. Much of the feel depends on grip type.

I prefer to putt with my hands mid-body, ball off my right eye (I'm a lefty), eyes over the ball. To facilitate eyes over the ball, I use a short (32") putter. With this type of setup, will my stroke still be on an arc (a la the putting arc)? Please note that I'm not as well-versed in TGM as many of the other posters, so an explanation in "layman's" terms would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

TPA was created by utilizing the 2 dimensional projection of the 3 dimensional plane. Seems like 5 dollar words doesn't it.

The part of the club closest to the ground should point at the base of the plane. When the club in parrallel to the ground it should be parrallel to the base of the plane. With a laser attached to the shaft anyone can see the putter head works in an arc as the laser points along the base of the plane.

So is it the shaft plane? Just because the laser is on the shaft and points along the base of the plane does not mean the shaft is riding along the plane angle of the putter's shaft. Look at it this way, the golf club can be swung down the hands only plane, turned shoulder plane, turning shoulder plane, elbow plane, or squared shoulder plane, and it will still point along the plane line. However, the arc of approach of each of the planes will differ.

THe area of rotation during the putting stroke is in the Thorasic vertebrate region. This would mean the arms, hands, and putter are "locked" in and the shoulders are the only moving parts. So the plane angle is steeper than that of the clubshaft. No big deal, it just means the arc of approach and the arc of seperation will be different.

People, I believe, can get better visuals of arcs rather than planes. Being they are the same the putting arc utilized the arc. The alignment lines of the face are all square to the arc, not the target line, which makes it angled hinging rather than vertical or horizontal.

The tough part is that putting deviations can be nil if we expect to be great putters. It all goes back to practice and the demons hide in the details. Be specific in your practice.

Southpaw,

I feel that your stroke would be an arc, not that it is a sin if it isn't.

Think of it this way, if your spine is horizontal to the ground the correct stroke would be straight back and through. If your spine were vertical to the ground it would be a circle. Anything between vertical and horizontal will be an arc.

quote:Originally posted by puttingarc

Southpaw,

Think of it this way, if your spine is horizontal to the ground the correct stroke would be straight back and through. If your spine were vertical to the ground it would be a circle. Anything between vertical and horizontal will be an arc.

That really does makes sense. It has always seemed to me that if I put my weight back on my heels and stood more erect my stroke would go to the inside on the backstroke and return to the ball (a lot) from the inside. I used to push the ball a lot like that.

quote:I believe if you use the quarter drill that Manzella talks about to secure down plane impact and the putting arc you will get tons better.

What's the quarter drill?

quote:Originally posted by puttingarc

Southpaw,

I believe if you use the quarter drill that Manzella talks about to secure down plane impact and the putting arc you will get tons better.

Same post as above, [EDITED]

That really does makes sense. It has always seemed to me that if I put my weight back on my heels and stood more erect my stroke would go to the inside on the backstroke and return to the ball (a lot) from the inside. I used to push the ball a lot like that. [EDIT] That is until I stopped opening the face so much on the backswing (I tend to do that with my full swing too...rolling the forearms independent of the turn). I couldn't get the face closed unless I really tried (compensated). The pushes got worse as I got more tense too.

Status
Not open for further replies.