Putting Question. . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
How important is it to have the putter shaft in line with right forearm? And, are there any good posts around here (i've looked and haven't found a detailed one) about proper putting grip?
thanks,
jch

I try to keep BOTH arms with shaft angle. Putter face on a downward strike to the ball. Hard part: finding ball position. Woody Austin starts of with just right hand on the putter and he is getting a lot better.
I use Stan Utleys grip. Thumbs down the shaft (heard that 100 times), but not over each other (point i missed previous). Grip: keep pressure on left hand pointer finger (on the knuckle) with right palm on grip. In the latest Golf Digest if you want pictures or searching their website. Please dont knock GD, good stuff in there.

Otherwise: search puttmad or Damon Lucas (and others!) . They have lots of good stuff about shaft angle in there posts.

Last edited:

Damon Lucas

Super Moderator
Jeff,

The importance of the right forearm depends on various factors:-
1. What type of stroke employed;
2. Which aspects of putting you do well, or badly;
3. How good you are, overall.

Having the right forearm in line with the putter shaft, for me, is most beneficial in promoting the least tension in the arms/shoulders/ wrists.

Some will argue that it helps keep the stroke 'on plane'. I don't personally subscribe to this view. I think that this concept becomes muddled when factoring in shoulder movement, wrist movement, upper spine positioning, and intent, as well as all the potential influences from the putter itself. Of course I am open to other views on this subject, and could not care less if the player does what needs to be done with the roll of the ball.

As for the grip, the more you get the putter grip in the lifelines of each hand, the more that you will match the forearm angles. Palms opposing, thumbs down the center of the grip provide good feedback. Again, the importance depends on you and the above factors.

Damon

Status
Not open for further replies.