Question about Left Foot Position

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been playing and practicing a bit more regularly, and hitting the ball a lot better (hit 17 greens once last week). My pattern is fairly orthodox - focusing on an NSA type pivot and perhaps a bit of wedding ring swivel, but with no twistaway. I'm hitting the ball fairly straight, playing a small draw most of the time but sometimes playing a fade with the driver. My misses are the occasional pull and the occasional thin shot, and in both cases I feel like I'm not getting enough down plane force in my swing. I'm not taking much of a divot even on short irons, and I don't think this is because of a path issue - that is, I don't think I'm swinging right.

The correction, I think, is to stay behind the ball, maintain my axis tilt, and to make sure I get to that position in NSA where Brian is mashing Adam's face (extension). Instead, I sometimes allow myself to get in front of the ball a bit and lose axis tilt. In looking at my swing (a somewhat older one, unfortunately) on video it looks like my hips get to a point where they can't turn anymore in the downswing and this is when I straighten a bit/move in front of the ball a bit.

I'm pretty flexible for someone my age and make a fairly fluid swing. I've never had a problem making a big hip and shoulder turn. When I first started learning from Brian's videos, I took his advice in NSA to set the left foot perfectly square (i.e. perpendicular to the tareget) at address. But I assume Brian recommends this because he wants to encourage a good, free hip turn, which a flared left foot would restrict. But I can still make a very full turn with a flared left foot.

So, in thinking through this and taking practice swings, I feel like I need to open up my left foot by 15 degrees or so. This will let my hips keep turning left so that I can keep my weight on my left heel (without hanging back), maintain my axis tilt, stay behind the ball, and apply the down and out force necessary to hit down and through it.

In an old thread, Brian said this:
The action that allows someone to "stay in their posture" (a phrase a do not like) is the shifting of their center-of-gravity toward the left heel.

So it seems to me that this might be easier to do in my case with a left foot slightly flared out.

Does that thinking seem correct, or am I missing something?

I don't take much of a divot myself fro, even w/ 7-pw. I don't pick it clean but I don't get those nice dollar size divots either. If my ball is flying nice, I don't care though. Trying to make a big divot hurts my back anyway.

As for the flare, I tend to do it after impact occasionally. I think this is caused by coming out of my posture.

I do not believe personally that the flare at adress will help you stay in posture, although might help rotating hips. Try getting that left shoulder away from the ball (NSA). When I keep this in mind it really helps me maintain my axis tilt. Hip slide and hitting Brian in the face with my left shoulder are some things I'm currently working on.

No offense B, I got nothin but love for ya.

I understand your quest to understand "why"? I'm the same way. Plus, I love the visual of the "Adam Mash". Really gets the point across.

Anyway, here's another way to look at it. You're asking about the position of your left foot at address. I think Manzella would say, "the ball doesn't care". Both Nicklaus and Hogan recommend turning the foot out, but I understand there are some other fair players who do pretty well with it square. Well, some people are toe-out walkers and others are more pigeon-toed.

I think you are inclined one way or another. Experiment with both, and choose the one that works the best for you. I like the toe-out, but don't change so you can make a bigger divot. Cheers.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Personally i teach a flared left foot for injury prevention. THAT ASIDE, you can still take thin divots with lots of lean and axis tilt if you are shallow through the ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.