Range finder advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone share their experiences with range finders, any style. I'm in the market for one and I'm sort of leaning towards Bushnell. I've use an Iphone app similar to Sky Caddie but it's really more of a pain in the ass than a help and doesn't seem that acurate. Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys.

I have had a Bushnell Pinseeker 1500 Slope Edition for 4 years. I also have
a Nikon unit as a spare. The Nikon is smaller, and not as easy to use. It
fits a back pocket. The Bushnell has a much bigger field of view.

I prefer the Bushnell.

ZAP

New
All I can tell you is if you are a little unsteady like me make sure to get one with pinseeker technology. I have a really tough time hitting the pin with mine. Mine is a Nikon Monarch 800. Great to use if the pins have those reflector dealies.

Mostly I use it to shoot objects at the corner of doglegs and stuff like that.

Agree, the Bushnell Pinseeker makes it easier to lock on to the pin.
With any Laser Range Finder you learn to give it the old reality check.
That means that you can sometimes lock onto the wrong target.
Look at your surroundings to verify that the result makes sense.

Over shooting a green by 40 yards is not a nice feeling.

I have Leupold GX-1. I have used it for 2 season with no problems. It is a great unit. Although Bushnelll receives a lot of high praise, many independent reviews of the Leupold are very strong.

Under the Callaway Golf umbrella Nikon offered a LR1200 WATERPROOF that has given me good service. Scan feature supports ranging multiple targets with one engagement.

Smaller and lighter is not easier to hold steady. I suspect, but do not
know, that the field of view is smaller on the V2 than the 1500.

I would definitely be skeptical about the statement that the V2 is the
best out there. Based on what? If it is, then why has Bushnell come out
with the 1600? To me the V2 is simply aimed at having a smaller, lower
price point product to compete with the Nikon (Callaway) units.

I presume you have read some on-line reviews. Here are two from
Golfsmith site.

"Be Aware!!! Date: May 15, 2008
I am not the review writing type but I must put in my opinion on this product....I switched from the pinseeker 1500 to the V2 about 3 weeks ago. Didn't have problems w/ the 1500 but I walk and wanted something that was lighter. From the beginning there were problems with the V2: Tech problems where display would show yardage then dissapear, show no yardage, tough to get a measurement to the flag at distances greater than 150. Along with that it also feels and looks CHEAP. For example, the display is not sharp, the buttons are flimsy. It feels like your holding a piece of lightweight plastic. So after a few weeks I took it back in exchange for the Callaway Nikon 800. Beter in ALL respects. Clear display, solid feel without being heavy, Sharp optics. I was worried about no pinseeker mode (bushnell) but I don't need it. With the Nikon you know what yardage it is to the pin b/c of its "first target technology" which gives you the closest yardage out of many objects. The case is better too. I clip in on to my bag and grab it when I need it. No problems. Won't buy bushnell again, sticking with Nikon.
Reviewed by:bbcus Helpfulness Rating: 2 out of 2Share this review:
Share this Review Review 17 for Tour V2 Laser Rangefinder with Pinseeker Technology
Overall Rating:
2 out of 5 Date: March 4, 2008 Small but inaccurate Date: March 4, 2008
Very inaccurate when compared side-by-side to the Bushnell Pinseeker 1500. Repeated measurements to reflective targets are inconsistent. Though it small and more ergonomic than the Pinseeker 1500, its inaccuracy is not worth the form-factor.
Reviewed by:MSR250 "

If it were me, I would be looking to find a new 1500 with Slope on e-Bay at a discounted price because of the
new model 1600.

I have the V2 and have enjoyed it very much and would buy another one in a second. I have had it for two years and just replaced the battery about 6 weeks ago. I have never once had any trouble getting a reading from the pin even out to about 300 yards and I am not a young buck with steady hands anymore. I was a little worried about the carrying case, (you can unzip it and just let a magnetic button keep to top closed), but, I have never had a problem with it and have used it numerous times carrying, using a pull cart and riding.

If you want a better unit with slope, remember that they are illegal during tournament play, this may or may not matter to you.

Good luck,
Jimmy S.

jimmyt

New
I heard the the Bushnell 1600 is first of all backordered, this from a friend in California, secondly I read that the 1600 was having software problems!!!

Have the Bushnell product improved, I too had the 1500 slope edition and I felt that it was hard to target a flag and you needed a very steady hand.

your iphone app is only as good as...

The GPS radio in it. I have a sky caddy and it suits my needs. But, I got am Android phone (samsung moment) and tried a golf range finder app. I loved it but the GPS in that phone is only accurate to 98 feet. Later, I bought the new Evo 4g. It has an amazing GPS that is good to 6 feet. That's as good any of the golf GPS units except laser.

Using the same app on a different phone is night and day difference. The app (golf card) on the Evo rivals any sky caddies or other GPS range finder when compared on the course. When I compare with lasers, I'm always close enough ( a yard or two).

So, if u love your iPhone, go with true range finder.if your dumping the iPhone anytime soon, the Evo...with the $10.00Golf Card app will rival anything out there and considering it uses Google maps...actually give u more. Plus there is no annual fee.

Last edited:
Golf Card is the app I have for the Iphone. I found it to be really time consuming and not very accurate, good point about the hardware. I spent most of my time fooling with the damn Iphone.

Thanks for the input guys.

When I occasionally compare the results of my laser to to my playing partner's
SkyCaddie, or other GPS units, there is sometimes little difference. However,
sometimes it's 5 or 6 yards. The point is that with the GPS you are guessing
at the actual pin position on the green. I prefer the dead nuts accuracy of the
laser. However, I also like the Front, Center,Back readouts on the SkyCaddie.
Hard, and sometimes impossible to shoot with Laser.

I'm not buying both, so will stick with the Laser.

I've read bad reviews on just about all of them. I've heard battery life is not great on the V2 from some reviews; battery life is fine in other reviews. Actually, the worst reviews I've read were on the Callaway device, mainly that they're not durable.

Still aint made up my mind yet, just wanted some real life reviews and not paid testimonials. Thanks for the help guys.

I have a leupold rx II laser range finder, it gives accurate readings but its really difficult getting the flag over 200 yards and also if the pin is elevated it is hard to hit and if its really cloudy out it is also difficult to get readings.

I have a leupold rx II laser range finder, it gives accurate readings but its really difficult getting the flag over 200 yards and also if the pin is elevated it is hard to hit and if its really cloudy out it is also difficult to get readings.

Is it hard to get a reading over 200 yds b/c it's hard to hold it steady or some other reason?

The sand trap had a review and the guy said he got accurate readings at 300+ and a few at 400+ for shits and giggles.

Are the RX and GX models basically the same?

Last edited:
Holding steady enough is the hard part. I am not sure about the GX models, they maybe the ones with pinseeker like technology where they pick up the flag better. I would of definitely bought the bushnell 1500 but I am also a bowhunter so my rangefinder is dual purpose and does the job for both. I can get up to 230-240yd readings in the right conditions but I just can't hold still enough for the longer range shooting.

Another vote for Bushnell v2 have had it 6 weeks and almost never use my GPS (Golf Logix) which I really liked

Status
Not open for further replies.