REAL Plane Angles, By Brian Manzella

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
I will explain these later today. Your welcome, Mr. Hardy.
planes.jpg

plane1.jpg

plane2.jpg

plane3.jpg

plane4.jpg

plane5.jpg

plane6.jpg

Not to be picky and I realize that sometimes it is hard to hold the place the Turned Shoulder Plane Line varies a bit between pictures where as the Elbow Plane Line appears to be in the same location/angle.

Looking forward to your descriptions

If he had a right forearm inline with the shaft, that would put him in a more upright lie,right? Trying to image that wouldn't that have his turned shoulder plane the same as his elbow plane?

Sorry if this doesn't make sense. I am just struggling with this right forearm inline with the shaft. I can do it, but it seems so awkward and so much like the look of a natural golf setup.

hcw

New
brian, when you do the explanations can you define what you mean by one/single plane?...in my head i think it means that the club-shaft stays in the same plane throughout the swing from address to impact, but i'm not sure what defines the plane and i'm not sure this is what other folks mean...thanks in advance!

-hcw

quote:Originally posted by brianman

Nope.

The way I did these in Photoshop...nothing moves.

Not to argue, but look at the line and the tree line way in the back, between 1,2 & 3 and the rest it has changed. About mid way down in the first three you can see some air between the top of the trees and the line, in the next ones that air disappears.

bcoak

New
quote:Originally posted by Martee

Nope.

Not to argue, but look at the line and the tree line way in the back, between 1,2 & 3 and the rest it has changed. About mid way down in the first three you can see some air between the top of the trees and the line, in the next ones that air disappears.

The line disects the branch on the tree and a clump of leaves in the same place in each picture

quote:Originally posted by Martee

Nope.

Maybe the wind was blowing.;)

My original question that started this thread:
"To determine one's shoulder and arm swing planes, where are lines drawn (at the top of swing) on the picture?
Does the line drawn to determine the arm swing plane vary (point to point) if in one swing the left arm is straight and in the other swing the left arm is not straight (along forearm or along upper arm)?
Rephrased: Guess there is no such thing as arm swing plane? Does a bent or straight left arm change any plane?
Excuse the fog!

Still trying to understand the zero shift. In the above pictures, coming down the shaft had dropped to the elbow plane with right forearm in line, is this a shift already. Most pros do shift down to the shaft plane (very close to the elbow plane) at impact. So for zero shift, shaft up along the turned shoulder plane and down on the turned shoulder plane, it will be quite steep, is this the correct interpretaion? and how can you do that?

Thanks.

rwh

New
quote:Originally posted by ryantiff

Still trying to understand the zero shift. In the above pictures, coming down the shaft had dropped to the elbow plane with right forearm in line, is this a shift already. Most pros do shift down to the shaft plane (very close to the elbow plane) at impact. So for zero shift, shaft up along the turned shoulder plane and down on the turned shoulder plane, it will be quite steep, is this the correct interpretaion? and how can you do that?

Thanks.

First -- yes, you can swing with Zero shift. If you want an example, just watch Yoda/Holenone's swing, which is a Zero Shift on the Turned Shoulder Plane. You will note that Yoda's swing appears "flatter" than Nick Price's swing shown above. That is because Yoda uses a "true" Turned Shoulder plane which is a "Flat Backstroke Shoulder Turn", whereas Nick Price isn't using a Flat Backstroke shoulder turn in this sequence.

I believe Nick Price's swing here would be a Double Shift. He starts on the (more or less) Elbow Plane, Shifts to his turned shoulder plane, then Shifts again to the Elbow Plane.

rwh

New
quote:Originally posted by wally888

My original question that started this thread:
"To determine one's shoulder and arm swing planes, where are lines drawn (at the top of swing) on the picture?
Does the line drawn to determine the arm swing plane vary (point to point) if in one swing the left arm is straight and in the other swing the left arm is not straight (along forearm or along upper arm)?
Rephrased: Guess there is no such thing as arm swing plane? Does a bent or straight left arm change any plane?
Excuse the fog!

The Golfing Machine describes the Plane Angle in terms of a point on the body on which the Inclined Plane would lay. Five are named in the book: Elbow, Turned Shoulder, Squared Shoulder, Turning Shoulder and Hands.

For example, the Elbow plane “line” would be drawn from the base of the Plane to where the elbow touches the waist at address. The Turned Shoulder plane “line” would be drawn from the base of the Plane to where the right shoulder would be located at the end of the shoulder turn. It's in the book at pages 152 - 157 (6th Edition).

rwh

New

Where the elbow is at impact.

Brian,

I guess I'm wrong. But, the book doesn't appear to limit it to impact. "10-6-A. ELBOW Where the Right Elbow touches the waist is the reference point used for this Plane Angle" (page 152; 6th Edition). The photo of Diane directly beneath the text shows the Elbow Basic Plane "At Address".

Why does it need to be defined at Impact?

Status
Not open for further replies.