Really—How good an instructor is Brian?

Status
Not open for further replies.
happy new year to all........................i have read 90% of the posts on this entire site,and so many are praising the teaching and instructing of Brian Manzella i being new, would like to find out why?? if you have taken lessons with him,please add your thoughts.............if you learned through video or forum, you add as well...........i for one think he is good.....and i will share my reasons at a later date.......this is not a scientific survey...............thanks for participating

Dariusz J.

I have never had a tete-a-tete lesson with Brian, however, judging from a big influence on very important nuances of my swing that I've been feeling just by reading, understanding and bringing into life some of his thoughts from the Forum - he is simply an excellent golf instructor, who knows how to teach, who loves to teach and who understands that people are different.

Cheers

tank

New
The best I have ever come across

He is so good, that I am almost embarassed to hope that the other guys in my regular foursome never find out about him. :eek:;):D

The man is obviously not only incredibly knowledgable, but also a very gifted teacher. I wish him great success, he deserves it.

Last edited:

Steve Khatib

Super Moderator
Teachers that dont have basic TGM knowledge cant teach.
Teachers that have TGM knowledge but dont have the art to teaching dont know where abouts in the swing to start the lesson at, so they justy cookie cutter the basic motion blah blah to all and sundrie.

Brian is one of a very 'few real' world teachers, meaning he can start the lesson exactly where each student needs to start at relevant component needed(different for all) and he has no bias so he is teaching from the students needs perspective rather than a method to justify his pop advertising fad! To top it off he is genuine, funny and a nice guy and really deserved to break through all of the crap marketing the brainwashes 98% of golfing population that are not intelligent enough to be able to critique instruction on its merits without the help of their friends, Golf Magazines of the local yes man country club political golf pro.

Brian is THE best I have come across and I can't imagine there being much better.

His knowledge, as one can readily witness via the forum, has very few peers.

His ability to TEACH THE STUDENT (sorry for "yelling," but this is important), however, is unmatched.

dbl

New
I took a lesson when his tour rolled through my area. Within about 5 swings he had grasped what my issues were and he was able to mimic what I was doign to a T. As I initially told him I didn't want a whole makeover but just to get rid of some faults within my basic stroke pattern, he said "we'll keep this and this and...." and then we worked on fixing certain areas that I needed fixed up.

Boy the proof was clear when near the end of the lesson we pulled out a fairway wood and and I used my trained/fixed up swing and hit it beautifully, which before would have been impossible.

As a btw, I have also taken and developed from that lesson a bonus, from a few comments of his, a horizontal hinge fade for use when needed.

Best teaching "eye"..

I was lucky enough to take a couple of lessons from Brain about 2 mos. ago and I can honestly tell you that in my experience, he is the best communicator and has the best teaching "eye" I've run across.

I cite my "experience" above because it is pretty vast when it comes to face-to-face lessons (ans schools) with "name" teachers. Since 1984 I have been exposed to 8 out of Golf Magazine's so-called "Top 100 Teachers". There have been several that have not made the "100" list that I took lessons from that you may have heard of as well (names mentioned on this forum).

My overall ball-striking has improved quite a bit in 2 months and my hcp index is down about 2.5. I'm actually looking forward to playing in city-wide tournaments again in '08. He will get to the "point" very quickly in terms of fixing your pattern (or finding one that fits you better).

One of the things I learned by seeing so many teachers is this: Truly helping someone to play better golf requires a "mix" of abilities that are very rare indeed. The money and time you spend with Brian will be well spent. Good luck with your journey.

please understand, i am not doing this for me to decide whether or not to take a lesson(s),,,from Brian......im doing it for a different reason...thankyou...hjack

My tale of enlightenment

I'll throw my .02 cents in here.

You can do a search for one of my first posts here. I was quite a mess when I found this place. I was a long time Hank Haney student that had taken more golf essons in one year than most folks take in ten. I worked VERY hard and I was totally committed to the Haney method. My goal was to return to State Amateur play and I wanted to work with someone that had top level golfers in their stable and who could take my game back to competitive golf. I sat and watched countless hours of video during my lessons, while lines were drawn all over my swing. I did every drill and I made every silly looking swing move they could think of because I believed Haney knew the best way to swing a golf club. I did everything in my power to duplicate the swing positions I was being told were the key to my perfect swing.

Well.....I wasn't getting better.

My swing often broke down when the pressure went up. Whenever those shots came along where the round could fall apart or you could keep the round going......more often than not......the round fell apart. I had taken lesson after lesson over the years, thinking I must be a really poor student, and it finally dawned on me that EVERY one of those lessons had been the same damn lesson. All I ever got was the standard "Haney Method" lesson. My serious flaws like my flip were NEVER addressed. My back swing was too flat and my club head path was over 8 degrees inside out. Hank Haney himself watched me hit balls and proclaimed me well served.

Talk about feeling stupid....

My first lesson with Brian was like I had suddenly wandered out of a cave into the light. I learned more about my swing in my first two hours with Brian than I had learned in years with Haney. I didn't get a "method" lesson. I got a lesson that addressed my ACTUAL swing flaws. It was the best lesson I had ever had. I spent two days in Louisville with Brian, in some of the worst weather you can imagine and didn't want to stop hitting balls. I finally had found a teacher that could teach. A teacher that didn't have a "one swing fits all" mentality. Here was a teacher that identified my flaws in 5 swings and had the ability to communicate how to fix them. There were no lines drawn on endless loops of video. I hit the ball better that day. I didn't hear that same old tired refrain that I will hit it better after I work on these new positions. I hit it better that day.

Since then I have had the pleasure of several lessons plus a great round of golf with Brian. My swing is better right now than it was when I played in college. I can hardly wait for my next lesson series in the next few months to get ready for the coming State Am qualifying tournaments. Not only that, the food in New Orleans is to die for. LOL!!

All I can add is that if you get the chance to take a lesson from Brian, don't miss the chance. I guarantee you that you will not be disappointed.

How good is Brian?

The real reason Brian is a great golf instructor is he will find a pattern that you will be able to play with.He will not throw a quick fix at you that lasts only a couple of weeks or for that matter days.The Matrix is the best system out there and will find a custom pattern that you can repeat on the golf course where it matters,from the long game to the short game.A true professional thats fun to work with.

Lesson w/ Brian

I had a lesson w/ Brian in Ann Arbor, MI in the beginning of September. I was really excited to get some time w/ the Manzellion in person. I've bought all the videos, spent a lot of hours reading the forums and related YouTube videos, etc.

Brian diagnosed my problems fairly quickly and we immediately began working on a remedy (I swing too far right. I swing right of right, actually :p ). However, by the end of the day I really didn't feel like I was hitting it any better. In fact, I felt worse about my swing than before. It was a sobering reality and I was kinda bummed. Conclusion: Wow, I've got a ways to go here. Btw, I'm a 5 so it's not like I'm a complete hack :cool:

Anyhow, here are my conclusions from the whole thing. One, you guys who say "oh man I was hitting it so much better 15 min after my lesson" confuse me. I mean, perhaps the greatest player of all-time (el Tigre) makes a few changes to an already dynamite swing and it takes years in his opinion for it to sink in. And you guys claim you are fixed in a matter of minutes or hours? Maybe I'm missing something here but I think those folks are missing the point of the lesson. Don't look for the band aid! Really learn the how and the why and how to fix it when it goes bad......not oh man it's so good now I'm all set.

Second thing I ask myself is the price tag worth the lesson? One thing is certain: Brian is a cool guy and it was neat to meet the guy you spend a lot of hours watching videos on, etc. C'mon he's our rockstar right? Anyhow, he's got great stories too. I'm sure drinkin a few beers and grilln' some burgers w/ the Manzellion would be quite entertaining:D

Oh, back on subject......the price tag. I think the answer depends on the student and what you really want out of the whole thing. I've had a few lessons from a few other instructors who were very so-so at best and I did learn one thing. There is only so much you can accomplish in one hour and only so much value to add. Where do you draw the line in terms of price? Just keep that in mind and make sure you leverage it with your expectations and I think you'll find where the line is at.

All things considered, the forum and the vidoes are priceless and those sell lessons. Brian and the academy have outstanding services to offer and he (Brian) markets himself well. Take advantage of it all!

Brian - Thanks for everything and happy holidays. Good luck with the house and I wish you and Lisa the best. Here's to 2008!

Btw coming to Michigan soon? :D

I have received a few pm...asking if i started this thread ,because i was trying to decide whether to take lessons with Brian.....not at all......please remember when reading this post....i asked you about him as a teacher or instructor.............. a private lesson did not have to be taken to answer this.............thanks hjack

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Here is a post that i made on another site, i think it's pretty good:

Please note that i am saying the below not to be arrogant but what Brian can do:

I came to brian a 10 handicap at best but was athletic enough to shoot low 70s (broke par twice on easy golf courses). Within 2 years i would say i'd put myself at probably 2-3. Within another 6 months i started teaching in the "Manzella way" completely on my own with no direct advertising help from Brian.

Brian came to chicago and saw what i had done with my students and made me an official manzella instructor. I taught for another year and i won't sit here and lie and say every lesson i ever gave was outstanding but i'd definately say 8/10. I have numerous examples of students who i made into much better ballstrikers/players IMMEDIATELY.

Now this isn't me doing all this, i was simply applying how brian teaches to my students. I had students coming to me from all over the midwest, and even from some of the top teachers in illinois. Currently i have retired from teaching, regaining my amatuer status, and plan to practice all next year and begin to play in amatuer tournaments the year after that and see what happens.

And if it helps, Slicefixer is the resident guru around here and i went to visit/colaborate with him for 5 days and i know he'll give me a glowing review as i have done for him as well.
[NOTE]Slicefixer is a great instructor in Texas that is well known and respected on another site which is why included him in this post at the time.

----------------------

Again the above isn't meant to be arrogant, it's simply a testament of what Brian can do that most can't. He has a teaching system NOT METHOD that is far superior to anything else i have ever read or scene. The ironic thing is that it's so simplistic i'm not sure why more people haven't figured it out. I did, and thats why i was able to become so good so fast and end up teaching it to others.

If you are curious, i have a total of 13 hours of one-on-one time with Brian. That's it!

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
2mongoose, I like you, have to wonder about all these miracle stories, too. I went to Brian having a game that was good enough to qualify for several PGA Tour events, win a number of State and sectional events and be 3rd alt in the US Open. I had a smoke and mirrors swing that desperately needed an overhaul, a complete analysis and fix by an EXPERT.
I am always suspect of any instructor because noone has ever been able to rid me of my all my issues. Every internet search I did led me to this Manzella guy. After diagnosing my issues, I immediately knew he was the real deal because he told me things i had never heard before, and i had seen at least 6 top 50 teachers (maybe more). I went through periods of decent to horrible ballstriking after my sessions in Louisville. The difference was i always had faith in what he said because his imagery and explanations are better than everybody else's by far.
Once i "got it" i began to do things with a golf ball i never dreamed i'd be able to do. I can make swings on both sides of the Matrix. I'm having more fun now than ever. I'm determined to make myself his ultimate success story. Whatever your motives are for starting this thread hjack, i dont care. But this guys opinion is that Manzella's top 3 in the world no doubt.

If you know enough about the mechanics at work the "miracle fixes" become a lot less mysterious. I'm sure for Brian they are very routine. (which is not meant to take away from him) You start to realize how flawed or even plain junk (to be honest) a lot of the stuff out there really is.

I've never taken a lesson but have learned a heap of stuff in here. It's the best place around. I have no doubt that he very well may be the best teacher in the world.

Last edited:
Guys......I didn't mean to imply that I got some kind of "miracle" fix. I did hit the ball better after my first day with Brian. I had some fundamental issues that Haney either ignored or never saw. I am hitting the ball better now than I did when I played in college. That said, I am not anywhere as good as I want or need to be. I still have days when things aren't right. I have swings that just make my stomach turn. But not as many as before. I am not ready to challenge for a State Am win, but I am getting closer to being able to qualify. That is my goal and it is a realistic goal.

After I tally up the score, I am better now after a short time with Brian, than I was after many years with Haney. I understand better what causes my bad shots and I know that every time I get to work with Brian, I am getting closer to my goal.

If I had spent the time and money I spent with Haney, and instead spent it with Brian, I have no doubt I would have acheived my goal years ago.

That's why to this day, I feel a little stupid.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Otto, i wasn't necesarily referring to you when i said "miracle fixes". It's just that maybe i'm suspect or just envious of anyone who can get fixed so fast. I feel stupid too because i feel i could have been a player of note if i had the info ten years ago that i have now. Is it too late? We'll see. But it sure would have been nice to have this swing back then......:(

Birdie...good point. If you understand the mechanics, the miracles aren't really that. I thought i had heard just about everything until i met BM. Evryone told me i was underplane and open faced, so what was this guy going to say that was any different. I had so many in swing corrections. I gave him what i thought was an impossible task, that i could not be fixed and he produced....enough said.

Very Good

Brian Manzella said;

"Losing SWEETSPOT LAG PRESSURE is very often caused by UNDER PLANE SHOULDER MOVEMENT!!"

Who else comes up with gems like that? Wow! Strips away the clutter and gets right to the crux of the issue.

Reading this thread I have a couple points:

1) I think the higher handicappers that have responded may have had a miracle fix, because they have more potential for immediate improvement.

2) "Hitting the ball better" can mean different things to different people. I was hitting the ball better immediately, because I hit every ball after my lesson in the middle of the club instead of the heel. I wasn't going to go from 6 to scratch that day, but I was hitting the ball better immediately. All my self study for the last 5-6 years could not produce that. 2 months later, I still have not hit a ball on the heel.

Brian is an excellent teacher. I was most impressed with his delivery style. He is a wealth of knowledge, but he delivers the information in such an easy manner that even I could get it. I was a tough nut to crack.

Still gatherin those marbles............

JB

"Losing SWEETSPOT LAG PRESSURE is very often caused by UNDER PLANE SHOULDER MOVEMENT!!"

Who else comes up with gems like that? Wow! Strips away the clutter and gets right to the crux of the issue.

Yup you will swing too far to the right. Very simple thing once you figure it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.