Rear Shoulder Video - Explosive Golf Show

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael Jacobs

Super Moderator
Manzella Academy Version of the current Explosive Golf Show

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/31250727?title=0&byline=0&portrait=0&color=ff9933" width="601" height="338" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen allowFullScreen></iframe>

Last edited:
Mike,
I think in the context that you presented it, it has some real and practical merit. That is, for a golf who really comes in "under" or "over" - that idea can get them much more in the ballpark.

jimmyt

New
Makes a lot of sense. Have really developed some excellent fundamentals over the last month or so with the information being shared by you and Brian.

Thank you

natep

New
Nice demonstation!

Pretty big deal that the shoulder moves on its own parallel plane, and not "downplane" at the ball.

Last edited:
I really enjoy these videos. Sadly, all videos seem to inspire questions. My question is what is the optimal shoulder height to begin with. MJ's description that the shoulder motion is parallel to the club plane once on the impact plane is very compelling but how "high" should the should be when one arrives at the club shaft's impact plane.

When I duplicate that motion MJ performs in the video, I feel more powerful with a lower right shoulder, and this reminds me of my low right shoulder from competitive baseball. Also, it appears that Sergio and Alvaro drop their right shoulder until their right elbow hits their right side then they rotate their shoulder parallel to the impact plane. Is this one of those situations where if you can drop your shoulder like that it is advantageous, but if you can't don't try to?

PS. MJ & BM I think you two need a "donate" button included in your video posts that enables folks to show their appreciation for video content, even though you intend it to be free. (Software developers do it often.) I can't offer riches, but a couple extra dollars here and there can't hurt.

Last edited:

natep

New
Fluffy,

Here's a video Brian made a while back of Sergio's swing where he mentions his right shoulder motion:

Thanks natep. In retrospect, Sergio was a bad example. But it does appear that sergio's right shoulder does lower down the right side of his torso during his downswing. What is impressive is that his right shoulder moves from shrugged to depressed while nearly maintaining the shoulder plane parallel to the impact plane. hmm, I need to mull this over.

sergio dtl driver

Dariusz J.

Can you clarify or elaborate on this Dariusz

Of course. Between pelvis are and shoulders girdle there is a hard structure gap in human's hard structure. Thus, the centers of rotations are positioned from the ground up. Now, if we assume that the center of upper body (from the waist up) is located neutrally between clavicles statically, we can assume that it will move targetwise dynamically throughout the motion. But it will never reach the lead shoulder joint, as TGM erroneously claim, but stays much closer to he spine. That's why we can see lead shoulder moving in 3-D space.
The rest is just the consequence.

Cheers

Like the idea of a donation button Fluffy. These videos have really helped and I would be happy to return the favor.

Drew

Neat Vid MJ thanks. I started many a thread years ago trying to understand the rear shoulder move. The fact that I gave up on getting a straight answer told me a lot about the importance I should put on certain swing theories.

It does in relation to the center of upper body rotation, however it is impossible for rear shoulder to move parallelly on an arc to the hands arc in 3-D

Of course. Between pelvis are and shoulders girdle there is a hard structure gap in human's hard structure. Thus, the centers of rotations are positioned from the ground up. Now, if we assume that the center of upper body (from the waist up) is located neutrally between clavicles statically, we can assume that it will move targetwise dynamically throughout the motion. But it will never reach the lead shoulder joint, as TGM erroneously claim, but stays much closer to he spine. That's why we can see lead shoulder moving in 3-D space.
The rest is just the consequence.
Cheers

I believe originally you were saying the right shoulder moved parallel to the center of the body rotation.

I must say I didn't follow you elaboration. Could you describe it in a simpler fashion for me?

Thanks

Dariusz J.

Never said that the right shoulder moved parallel to the center of the body rotation. My previous post was just an attempt to clarifying where the center of upper body rotation is in both static and dynamic sense.

Cheers

I am trying to make sense of this in light of the Michael Bentley thread and my understanding of the Soft Draw pattern. The "underhanded javelin" move suggests that the shoulder turn on the backswing and downswing should be steep, rather than flat. Is that consistent with MJ's video and the Bentley article?

Another question: how does this information (the video and the Bentley article) relate to the "Perfect Pivot" article and the "crossing guard" drill?

I'd like a clarification on something that has been bothering me. I like MJ's table top illustrations of the release and in this video of the shoulder movement. But if you then translate this to an inclined plane as when addressing a golf ball on the ground, wouldn't that equate to a one plane swing? What am I missing? Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.