Right Arm Swinging

Status
Not open for further replies.
one point is that the right elbow becomes the center of the swing instead of the left shoulder

When most people (normal people) speak of "right arm swinging" they are talking about swinging with a significant amount of right arm participation.

Original Poster, what are you talking about? joec described a minor stroke variation that very few people actually use... Maybe Norwood did, but I can't think of any tour professionals that do.

I know that Westwood does have that weird chicken wingy motion in his swing... I wonder what does he look like at impact. With a 'right arm swing' where the right elbow becomes the center of the swing, a flat left wrist become more of an option, and not a mandatory component. I have a feeling you are talking about this version. You have set me off on a mission to youtube Westwood.

A lot of right arm participation.

Two types of right arm swinging that I'm aware of

1. The Golfing Machine Version, where the right elbow becomes the center point of the swing. You pull with the right elbow to a pitch position.

2. The Tom Tomasello version. Which is just a normal pivot while the arms go up and down. I believe he says you have to "whip it" with the right arm "almost like casting a fishing line" before you can "zip it", which is pulling the unbending right arm through with the pivot.

1. The Golfing Machine Version, where the right elbow becomes the center point of the swing. You pull with the right elbow to a pitch position.

2. The Tom Tomasello version. Which is just a normal pivot while the arms go up and down. I believe he says you have to "whip it" with the right arm "almost like casting a fishing line" before you can "zip it", which is pulling the unbending right arm through with the pivot.

You need a number 3! The motion TT taught in the Australian video. A number 4 - despite all the "throw" talk in Mike Austin circles, he never actually activated his swing from the top. Anyone that disagrees with my number 4 needs glasses, and a healthy serving of logic. Look at the flammer! What does it teach?

Number 2 is an inferior right arm participation pattern, and can easily lead to injury. Real right arm swinging is even more hazardous, save that motion for the short game. Stick to a number 3 ish pattern if you want more right arm participation.

I apologize for the choppiness.

Last edited:

joec

New
elbow position

i think the elbow can also be in a punch position.

1. You pull with the right elbow to a pitch position.

That can also be used in a pattern that maintains the left shoulder as the stroke center.

I think that TGM right arm swinging is two things:

1) Hitting with a pitch elbow, and replacing the left shoulder stroke center with the right elbow.

2) Hitting using a punch elbow with the right elbow replacing the left shoulder as the center of the stroke.

Both are awful. My right elbow still hasn't forgiven me!

Last edited:
A number 4 - despite all the "throw" talk in Mike Austin circles, he never actually activated his swing from the top.

Just to briefly correct you sm, he did activate the throw from the top, but mentally. The downswing is so fast that it (the intent to throw) didn't react until near impact..:)

Just to briefly correct you sm, he did activate the throw from the top, but mentally. The downswing is so fast that it (the intent to throw) didn't react until near impact..:)

Here's my take:

- It is impossible to throw from the top, and get into a deep pitch position with the amount of tilt MA had.

- To get into MA's deep pitch position, you have to use right side compression (I learned that from you!).

- Not a throw, but extensor action! An outward tugging from the right arm, right side compression, sit into your tilt, and smash out with your right arm... That is MA(roller) without all the weirdness.

- People have all kinds of feels that aren't real.

- It works.

Self Mastery, I'm confused by your statement, probably just misreading it

"You need a number 3! The motion TT taught in the Australian video. "

That's what I'm referencing in number 2. Unless I'm missing something. I actually think Tomasello's version of right arm swinging is extremely effective and use it quite a bit. I use to go right with it, but once I added a slight bit of roll with the left arm it was very effective, and long. Also his "whip it" motion gets your focus away from hitting it with the right hand and flipping.

He gets you going down plane instead of at the ball. Brian teaches a similar motion to this in one of his you tube videos, where he demonstrates throwing the club from the top and dragging it with the pivot.

I thought you were referencing the pattern that he shows in his golf studio. I will never accept that he is teaching the exact same pattern in both videos. I can make both work, but I feel that the right arm participation stroke that I developed late last summer is better.

Hit out at the ball.

Last edited:
Here's my take:

- It is impossible to throw from the top, and get into a deep pitch position with the amount of tilt MA had.

- To get into MA's deep pitch position, you have to use right side compression (I learned that from you!).

Agreed...:)

Remember I said "mentally"....the reaction, ie. the rotating action of the right forearm, doesn't happen until the impact zone, thereby the photgraphic evidence of max lag very late...
If you really "threw from the top" you would dissipate all the energy too early and be flipping by the time you got to your right leg..:D
Its the thought that counts..the intention...from the top, as it takes aboust 1/3 of a second to get down to impact....

Agreed...:)

Remember I said "mentally"....the reaction, ie. the rotating action of the right forearm, doesn't happen until the impact zone, thereby the photgraphic evidence of max lag very late...
If you really "threw from the top" you would dissipate all the energy too early and be flipping by the time you got to your right leg..:D
Its the thought that counts..the intention...from the top, as it takes aboust 1/3 of a second to get down to impact....

AH. I understand!

Gary Edwin advocates a right arm swing in his teachings with the pivot reacting to the motion of the right arm. Rod Pampling is a good example

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Ain't things grand...

Since the Manzella Matrix came to life, we don't waste a second debating semantics.

JUST CALL IT WHAT EVER YOU WANT, BUT EXPLAIN IT CHILD-LIKE TERMS!!!

Hooray.

Just to RE-state my case:

Nobody that can hit it a lick PURE SWINGS or PURE PUSHES, they do both, but you can just pure swing (my definition) and hit it good, just only 85% AS LONG AS YOU COULD.

And if a right-handed golfer only had a right arm. They could still pure swing.

Status
Not open for further replies.