Right Forearm Pickup Takeaway - Is it in the book?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't find the Right Forearm Pickup mentioned anywhere (at least not by that exact phrase) in TGM book. I have been searching for awhile.

Can someone help me out with references? I have 1982 edition.

It's called Right Forearm Takeaway and it's mentioned in 12-3-0, #17 in the checklist. I can't find RFT referenced anywhere else in the book.

rwh

New
Right Forearm Takeaway is also mentioned in 3-F-6 and how it's done is described in 7-3 which, basically, states that the angle of the on-plane Right Forearm at address shows the "precise up-and-down direction" both the forearm and clubshaft take during the stroke.

All of this presupposes an on-plane right forearm at address and a zero plane shift stroke.

quote:Originally posted by MizunoJoe

It's called Right Forearm Takeaway and it's mentioned in 12-3-0, #17 in the checklist. I can't find RFT referenced anywhere else in the book.

I see it now. Thanks Joe.

I thought this book was supposed to be the "Duffer's Bible", the "Golf Nut's Catalog", the "Circuit Player's Handbook" and the "Instructor's Textbook" yet the book lists this preferred procedure once by name as part of a checklist with no further instruction. Yet, today's AIs can write pages and pages of posts on the subject. Hmmmmm.....perhaps it's not all in the book. From what it sounds like it was all in the author's coconut and most of the concepts took a lot more explaining and description than he cared to write.

quote:Originally posted by rwh

Right Forearm Takeaway is also mentioned in 3-F-6 and how it's done is described in 7-3 which, basically, states that the angle of the on-plane Right Forearm at address shows the "precise up-and-down direction" both the forearm and clubshaft take during the stroke.

All of this presupposes an on-plane right forearm at address and a zero plane shift stroke.

I've read 7-3 numerous times, I understand it, but this section is really describing the right forearm angle of approach. This sentence: "So the right forearm must leave - and precicesly return to- its own fix position" is the closest thing that I can find in that section that refers to any part of the takeaway or backswing. More specifically, the verb leave is the only thing referencing anything to do with the takeaway.

vj,

There has been a lot of discussion about RFT on Lynn Blake's forum and he has archived all his previous posts on other boards there on his site. Also, "Homer's Notes" are available on Chuck Evan's site and probably also on Lynn's, and which may or may not elaborate on RFT. Brian also knows exactly how to do it.

This is one of those topics which requires a Homer "eyewitness" account to get any detail, and proves that the book, contrary to what some say, is not complete.

rwh

New
quote:Originally posted by vjcapron

quote:Originally posted by rwh

I've read 7-3 numerous times, I understand it, but this section is really describing the right forearm angle of approach. This sentence: "So the right forearm must leave - and precicesly return to- its own fix position" is the closest thing that I can find in that section that refers to any part of the takeaway or backswing. More specifically, the verb leave is the only thing referencing anything to do with the takeaway.

VJ,

I assume you just wanted to know where the book discusses it. However, if you are wanting to know how to do it, Brian has a video on the subject -- Manzella Video Short #4, a demonstration of the Shoulder Turn Takeaway and the Right Forearm Takeaway.

quote:Originally posted by mikestloc

It was stressed more in the unpublish 7th edition.

Hey Mike!

Nice to see you posting here again. You should certainly post more! Yes I know, wife, kids, job, etc. we are all so busy these days. [|)]

By the way guys, I met Mike at Canton (3 G.O.L.F Guys School, 26th to 28th August) this year and he definitely knows how to hit the ball. His swing is almost as good as it looks. LOL!;)
Not only is he a great ballstriker, but also an outstanding teacher and communicater. Full of wisdom and always humble (totally unlike Brian :D:D) . It was an absolute pleasure to work with him.

ulim

New
quote:However, if you are wanting to know how to do it, Brian has a video on the subject -- Manzella Video Short #4, a demonstration of the Shoulder Turn Takeaway and the Right Forearm Takeaway.
Only that the video doesn't actually explain how to do either. It discusses both methods and some advantages / disadvantages of both, but the actual instruction how to do it was not detailed enough for an ignoramus like me. And the demonstrations of both takeaways were almost indistinguishable to me, perhaps a few lines would have helped. So I think this video is more for intermediate or even somewhat proficient TGMers.

Ulrich

I echo Denny's comment. I found out at the Canton school that the yellow book was not a how to book on how to play golf, it is a catalog of the important elements of the golf swing. If it is mentioned in the book Homer felt it was important. It is up to the reader to refer back and to figure out what is most important to them. That is where a good AI comes in, he can point the way and eliminate a lot of the clutter. There were 5 excellent ones at Canton (Ben, Brian, Lynn, Mike and Ted) and I recommend scheduling a lesson with any of them. If unable to have a personal lesson, keep posting to the forumn. There are extremely knowledgeable people here that will be able to answer your question.

Status
Not open for further replies.