Right heel lifting early...

Status
Not open for further replies.
What can cause the right heel to lift early (well before impact) in the downswing?

Is this move an action or a reaction (cause or effect)?

Thanks,
Joe

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Right Foot Down?

You need the right amount of hip SLIDE, hip UNWIND, hip TILT, axis TILT, Shoulder UNWIND, and kinetic snap, at impact, to create the desired speed and D-Plane (the hands and arms have a lot to do with it as well—obviously).

So, what the right foot has to do for a particular golfer to have all those other important things properly aligned and fired, with pressure all in the right places, is NEXT TO MEANINGLESS.

Got it?

I should have asked Richie this in that other thread a little while back, but...Define Proper footwork?..Please:)

I should have asked Richie this in that other thread a little while back, but...Define Proper footwork?..Please:)

There is no such thing as 'proper' footwork. I believe that most people are just far better off avoiding getting the weight up on the toes before or at impact. Some can get away with it. Lots of LPGA players get away with it.

Having the right heel off the ground is FINE, but I would highly suggest keeping the weight off the toes...which can be done with the right heel off the ground. The entire keeping the right heel on the ground at impact is really just a simple way to keep the weight off the toes. Same thing with the 'right heel should be closer to the target than the right toes at impact.'

Put it this way, if a golfer came up to me and they looked like they had a pretty good swing, square clubface, etc, but then their cranium moved away from the target and down on the downswing, the first thing I would look at is their footwork and if I saw the weight up on the toes, I would suggest that they work on that.

Getting the weight up on the balls of the feet is not the same as getting it up on the toes. I prefer to have the weight in the middle of the arches of the feet at address because it prevents me from getting the weight up on the toes. But for some people, they may have a tendency to get the weight more towards the heels, so they may need to have the weight up on the balls of the feet at address. Different strokes for different folks.

Analyze the problem, find the root cause of the problem, come up with a solution and customize it towards the golfer's skill and abilities.

3JACK

Could an active right side lower body (down the line thrust), cause the right heel to lift prematurely? Could this very motion inhibit the hips (pivot) ability to rotate/clear and allow enough room for a proper (on-plane) downswing descent to impact?

In other words… can one still efficiently pivot with a strong lateral thrust?

Could an active right side lower body (down the line thrust), cause the right heel to lift prematurely? Could this very motion inhibit the hips (pivot) ability to rotate/clear and allow enough room for a proper (on-plane) downswing descent to impact?

In other words… can one still efficiently pivot with a strong lateral thrust?

Joe,

The act of raising the right heel is not neccessarily a bad thing, and it (lateral thrust) doesn't inhibit the pivot in any way, if fact it is part of the pivot, the pivot being a compound action....
The lateral thrust is simply the way to get your left leg in the correct position for your right side to pivot around it later on the downswing.
Raising the heel is more to do with your own swing dynamics, specifically how much you bend your right knee on the downswing..
If you bend your (right) knee a lot you will need to raise the heel to maintain the correct distance of the right hip from the ground.
If you don't bend the knee so much, you can leave the heel down longer...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.