Right scapula action, Freddy Couples, and the long hitters club

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was looking at swing sequences of Freddy Couples, John Daly, and Jamie Sadlowski, and thinking about the flying right elbow. It occurred to me that these swings share some thing in common with great baseball swings, namely, at the top, the extension of the right elbow is not just a higher position from which to hit, but it could be utilized to "load" or "stretch" the right scapula, the contraction of which then seems to add significant power to the downswing. Does this make sense?

Making some practice swings and allowing the right elbow to "fly", I notice I can sense when I load the scapula and when I don't. It's a HUGE difference in terms of feel and speed.

Thoughts?

I bet that asking the scapula to do anything other than stabilize on a regular basis would lead to muscular imbalances. Specifically, a strong upper trap, weak lower trap and a tight rhomboid. If the lower traps are targeted with tubing exercises on a regular basis, then the symptoms of the imbalance would take a long time to show up, but they eventually would. If you have a full time physio who knows what they're doing like Sadlowski probably does, then not a big deal. For the rest of us who have a hard time affording regular physio - bad news.

Was looking at swing sequences of Freddy Couples, John Daly, and Jamie Sadlowski, and thinking about the flying right elbow. It occurred to me that these swings share some thing in common with great baseball swings, namely, at the top, the extension of the right elbow is not just a higher position from which to hit, but it could be utilized to "load" or "stretch" the right scapula, the contraction of which then seems to add significant power to the downswing. Does this make sense?

Making some practice swings and allowing the right elbow to "fly", I notice I can sense when I load the scapula and when I don't. It's a HUGE difference in terms of feel and speed.

Thoughts?

I believe the movement of the scapula sliding down and in toward the spine is indirectly a power move via stabilization. It temporarily anchors/connects the shoulder joint to the rotating core (the torso) so that rotational power can be transmitted to the extremities more effectively, like a baseball pitcher. Makes me think of a car clutch engaging to allow the rotational power of the engine to be transmitted to the transmission and drive wheels.

I mentioned it just yesterday in a post, http://www.brianmanzella.com/golfin...ase-help-my-impact-position-4.html#post191952

Status
Not open for further replies.