Right shoulder toward a wall

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't agree with the wall move mate...If you actually do it correctly you will sway to the right....as you can see him doing in the demo..:)

Is the movement of your right shoulder part of the power package, as described by TGM? Is it part of zone #1 or zone #2?

JeffM

I very much agree that one should direct the right shoulder down the RSP line towards the ball. However, I have never understood the rationale for having a more horizontal shoulder turn on the backswing. Note that Arnold Palmer (in a recently posted video) had a steep shoulder turn on the backswing - points at the ball - and the downswing shoulder turn was equally steep. What is wrong with Arnold Palmer's approach?

Jeff.

I very much agree that one should direct the right shoulder down the RSP line towards the ball. However, I have never understood the rationale for having a more horizontal shoulder turn on the backswing. Note that Arnold Palmer (in a recently posted video) had a steep shoulder turn on the backswing - points at the ball - and the downswing shoulder turn was equally steep. What is wrong with Arnold Palmer's approach?

Jeff.

Nothing is wrong with his approach, especially for someone who wants to avoid a hook. A more horizontal or flat shoulder turn going back helps keep the right shoulder from "roundhousing" on the downswing, helping slicers.

I'm (obviously) not a trained instructor, but this is how I understand the two (steep and flat) turns to be different.

JeffM

Holeout

How does it prevent roundhousing in the downswing? Is it due to the fact that the hands will get deeper (further back) in the backswing if the backswing shoulder turn is more horizontal, and the deeper the hands, the less likley that they will come steeply OTT in the early downswing?

Jeff.

Jeff

I think it is because in a good downswing pivot, the right shoulder moves "down, out, and forward" while the left shoulder moves "up, in, and back" (or something like that). With a steeper right shoulder (or higher, however you want to look at it) the more the shoulder has to move down with less out than versus a flatter (or lower, deeper, however you want to think of it) right shoulder. A slicer's pivot has too much out coupled with not enough down with the right shoulder. It seems like a flatter shoulder turn would help alleviate some of this, while a steeper shoulder turn would only worsen the move.

Again, I'm not trained or educated like Brian, Jim, etc. This is how it seems to make sense to me however. I hope Brian or Jim can chime in here to shed some light :) .

Last edited:

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Whoa Nellie....

If you need a FLATTER Shoulder Turn, the "to the wall" thought (they are all just thoughts, folks) works fine. There are 100's of other thought's that work as well.

If you need a STEEPER Shoulder Turn, you might think "Keep my right shoulder AWAY from the wall."

Why a FLATTER Shoulder Turn to fix slicers?

It's all in Never Slice Aagin 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.