Rolled Right Foot in Backswing

Status
Not open for further replies.
I videoed my swing today and was disappointed that my right foot was rolling to the right during the backswing. Any thoughts on how to keep the right foot from rolling during the backswing?

I videoed my swing today and was disappointed that my right foot was rolling to the right during the backswing. Any thoughts on how to keep the right foot from rolling during the backswing?

1. Brace your weight on the inside of right foot during address. Feel like it's leg of a camera tripod.

2. Delay hip turn as much as possible. I use the drag takeaway with arms, then shoulders. Hips will turn on its own later.

3. Practice backswing while watching your right knee. Keep it flexed and pointed towards the ball area. Don't let it turn out to the right.

Once that is done, most people will start to reverse pivot. Because we don't know what a proper loaded turn feels like, we assume it's a reverse pivot. Look at the mirror, and see if you are. That's the best way to tell.

If you keep your head anywhere to the right of original address position, and you have turned your right shoulder as much as you can under your chin, there is no way you reverse pivot, unless your right knee rotated out to the right.

That is how i cured my right foot roll.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Yikes!!!!

1. Brace your weight on the inside of right foot during address. Feel like it's leg of a camera tripod.

I HATE this position.

You should have your weight even on foot, both side-to-side, and back-to-front.

2. Delay hip turn as much as possible. I use the drag takeaway with arms, then shoulders. Hips will turn on its own later.

Delayed hip turn works fro about 20% of golfers....TOPS!!!

Lagging clubhead takeaway, works fro about 40-50%

3. Practice backswing while watching your right knee. Keep it flexed and pointed towards the ball area. Don't let it turn out to the right.

Never monitor your knee.

If your hip turns in the right location, you CAN'T roll your foot.

I think I need a drink. :confused:

I did like some of the end of your post.

When I use a shoulder turn takeaway I tend to roll the right foot. When I do right forearm pick up there is no rolling at all but I hit the ball about 10% shorter. Instead of shoulder turn takeaway does it make sense to use Standard Hip action with a sharp hip turn as Ben Doyle teaches to prevent rolling the right foot?

Brian Manzella

Administrator
When I use a shoulder turn takeaway I tend to roll the right foot. When I do right forearm pick up there is no rolling at all but I hit the ball about 10% shorter. Instead of shoulder turn takeaway does it make sense to use Standard Hip action with a sharp hip turn as Ben Doyle teaches to prevent rolling the right foot?

I think your definitions of STT and RFP are slightly askew. ;)

Anyhoo, go with standard/standard/sharp.

Thanks Brian! I assume you mean standard shoulder turn and standard hip action. No delays. When I was doing STT I was letting the shoulders move first and perhaps there was too much lateral component going back that allowed the rolling of the right foot. A sharp hip turn with the hips leading rather than trailing the shoulders should help. Am I comprhending this OK?

Last edited:
Pivot

Check out Brian's article on the pivot. I read it at least 5 times before I finally got it. Rolling over my right foot was natural on the backswing.

The correct pivot still feels weird. Didn't Hogan say if it feels good do the opposite --- or something like that :)

Leek

New
Brian- could you explain shoulder turn takeaway and right forearm pickup.

I think I alternate between the two as I understand them. My feeling with STT is my shoulders turn as the arms activate, with rfp, I feel like I am curling a dumb bell with my right arm and the shoulders probably get pulled by that movement.

What are the correct definitions?

I pull those out of my nose all the time....

Heh, I was actually serious... I guess you longtime folks are used to it but Mr. Manzella has a way of casually dropping these priceless gems, to me that was one of them. So many instructors teach arms pull the hips around, it works for almost nobody.

Status
Not open for further replies.