Rory Hip Turn on Sports Science

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting stuff. No question that Rory has a unique swing pattern all his own.

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/kEvcD4zdYv4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

lia41985

I saw this and was disappointed by the hype. There are guys hitting it further who don't do this and so it's just a meaningless anomaly to me. I'd rather hear about Bubba or Dustin's wingspan or their "arc" numbers (as in how big of an arc do they generate per 3-D measurement). Who are the other guys whose rotation switches directions? What percentage of the sped his hip rotation is generating get transferred to the club? What kind of external rotation does Rory have in his shoulders? How about his range of lateral flexion? Does that help to explain how he gets the club here?:
rorys.jpg

See the graph at 2:28.

I could be wrong, but I think that hip rotation speed is the red line, and the 3 vertical black lines will be top of swing, impact and finish. In which case, Rory's backward hip movement happens after impact. Maybe that was obvious to everyone else, but I'd have thought that in making such a huge deal of it, they'd at least have pointed out that this ultrarare, unique move happens after the ball is on it's way. Rory's unique hip move has as much to do with how he hits the ball as the way he twirls his club.

Total thread Jack, but he looks like a frumpy girl with a beard. If they named his "look" it would be "homeless white trash".

Very offensive, Lindsey.

Are you telling us, you don't wear a tie with your golf shirt???? We in the South invented that look... now everyone does business casual.:rolleyes:

aaa-christmas-8.jpg

This "Kinetic Chain" is completely misunderstood, mis-applied, viewed in the wrong context - most of the time. "Getting energy out of the ground" - just a poor perspective and then on top of that - they don't explain or clarify how you "get energy out of the ground" since that's what they think. How do I get speed in my car - by getting energy out of the ground?

ZAP

New
All I can say is Oh my goodness. Even I would not wear that. And that is saying something.

See the graph at 2:28.

I could be wrong, but I think that hip rotation speed is the red line, and the 3 vertical black lines will be top of swing, impact and finish. In which case, Rory's backward hip movement happens after impact. Maybe that was obvious to everyone else, but I'd have thought that in making such a huge deal of it, they'd at least have pointed out that this ultrarare, unique move happens after the ball is on it's way. Rory's unique hip move has as much to do with how he hits the ball as the way he twirls his club.

Neverthess Birly it is just the consequence of something done PRE-impact which effects impact.

This "Kinetic Chain" is completely misunderstood, mis-applied, viewed in the wrong context - most of the time. "Getting energy out of the ground" - just a poor perspective and then on top of that - they don't explain or clarify how you "get energy out of the ground" since that's what they think. How do I get speed in my car - by getting energy out of the ground?

Nice. Those TRI guys just seem to want to be slick presenters. The info is either incomplete or too superficial to have any relevance.

Burner

New

Agreed. The ground is for standing on only and has no function of its own other than to provide upwards resistance to downward forces..

Of course, Wulsy. But causes and consequences is exactly the point. Some poor sod is going to watch that video and conclude that throwing his hips into reverse is the secret to massive clubhead speed.

Neverthess Birly it is just the consequence of something done PRE-impact which effects impact.

I think at 2.50 the host says that the reverse does not contribute to his length. And earlier the scientist attributes the reverse to extremely "hard" muscles in the core.

Drew

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.