Rory to Nike?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it is true, so what? Why would that bother you? If anything, Nike would be a great move for Rory. Deep pockets and great marketing would hurt him somehow?

Doesn't mean it's true or not, but these "stories" happen EVERY year at this time. Rory's name has been associated with them for the past few years. If true, he would've already played Nike, Adidas/TM, and Puma/Cobra.

It's not often the best player in the world wears your brand. Even for a traditionally tight company like Titleist, it's hard to see them letting go of the golden child.

Besides, has Rory had enough scandals or jail time to be a Nike endorser?

McIlroy won't renew with Titleist

PGA News Story : McIlroy won't renew with Titleist : Golf Digest.com

McIlroy won't renew with Titleist

By DOUG FERGUSON
AP Golf Writer

(AP) -- Rory McIlroy is officially a free agent when it comes to golf equipment.

McIlroy and Acushnet Co., which has supplied the 23-year-old star from Northern Ireland with Titleist and FootJoy gear since he turned pro five years ago, said on Tuesday they will not extend their relationship after this year.

The announcement allows McIlroy to pursue a lucrative endorsement contract, with strong indications that he will sign with Nike in a deal that one industry observer estimated at $20 million a year. That would give Nike golf's two biggest stars in McIlroy and Tiger Woods, who has been with the swoosh since he turned pro in 1996.

Last edited:
imo...

titleist driver > nike driver
titleist irons >= nike irons (debatable)
titleist wedges >= nike wedges (debatable)
titleist golf balls > nike golf balls
nike golf apparel > oakley (oakley shirts quite disgusting actually)
footjoy shoes >= nike (debatable)
nike marketing = the best

If Tiger Woods could never get Nike into golfers bags consistantly how would Rory?

I would think that Tiger's gotten plenty of Nike into golfers' bags. I bet Nike's return on their initial 1996 investment in Tiger has been stratospheric!

Nike is pretty adamant that their guys wear only the Swoosh logo from head to toe and on the bag (exceptions be Kim and Tiger's bag). I can't imagine Rory giving up his other lucrative logos for a 1 brand look. Interesting to see how it pans out if it happens.

BTW, his game will slide immediately once he bags their goods... heard it here first. :)

Nike is pretty adamant that their guys wear only the Swoosh logo from head to toe and on the bag (exceptions be Kim and Tiger's bag). I can't imagine Rory giving up his other lucrative logos for a 1 brand look. Interesting to see how it pans out if it happens.

BTW, his game will slide immediately once he bags their goods... heard it here first. :)

But how long do you think it will take Rory to adjust to his previous level of play as a top five player? My guess is not long.

What Nike club would Rory have the most trouble with?

He will just have it like Tiger and have Titleist woods with Nike paintjobs. And a nice set of Nike MP-14s.

One thing that did seem to help Tiger was that he stuck with the Titleist driver for a number of years. And of course, he's won all 14 majors with the Scott Cameron Newport. Wonder if Rory will get to do a similar sort of transition.

Status
Not open for further replies.