Rubbing my right thumb / iron bounce

Status
Not open for further replies.
My hands seem to want to get my right thumb involved in the out toss and coupling point rotation. I'm hitting it ok but I've never heard of any good player "experiencing" this. My thumb will actually be black at the end of a range sessions from rubbing on the grip.

What am I doing wrong?

Also -- as a bonus -- does anyone ever feel like they are trying to cleanly bounce/strike the bounce of the club (7 iron for example) off the ground a couple inches in front of the ball?

I do remember Brian saying that he had taught the "mid sole tour pitch" as a full swing pattern. Perhaps that is what you are experiencing. As for the thumb, I have no idea.

If you're looking down at the nail, it is on the right side and bottom of the thumb at the level of the knuckle closest to the nail.

S

SteveT

Bonesy.... what is the shape of your hands.... thick, pudgy palms, short fingers... or thin, long? Also what size grips do you use?

Do you use a "short" or "long" thumb left lead hand gripping?

Do you have a full backswing, or do you only go say 3/4's back? Same for driver and irons?

Do you tend to "pinch" the handle between the right thumb and index knuckle to hold it at the top of the swing?

Is your left wrist cupped or flat at the top... I'm guessing "cupped"?

Can you catch the handle at the top under your right lead index and maybe middle finger knuckles only... which forms the instantaneous fulcrum at top reversal?

What would happen to your right thumb if you wore a glove?

Right hand low.

Cadet M/L glove size.

Sausage fingers with normal size palms.

I use regular size grips.

Full backswing

Yes -- pinch. At the top of my swing the club comes to rest between my thumb and index finger. I can't figure out a way to keep it only on my index finger.

Pretty flat LW at the top

Steve -- my middle fingers don't grip the club well though I have good grip strength (can squeeze 100bp pressure hand grippers pretty easily) as such the fulcrum falls on my thumb.

If I wore a glove I bet it would have a hole in it after a while.

Thanks for thinking about this!

natep

New
I have a callous in the area you describe. It probably has to do with the fact that I like "soft hands" in my swing and my grip gives a little bit at the top, if you know what I mean.

S

SteveT

Thanks for thinking about this!

Hey... questions are easy .... solutions are tough ..!!!!

Re: "Do you use a "short" or "long" thumb left lead hand gripping?"... perhaps you don't understand this unanswered question, and is revealing about your overall grip style. I'm betting your have a "short" thumb left hand grip, which is not that conducive to support the club against the momentum reversal at the top... and you pinch your right hand for stability.

What happens when you swing gently with individual hands... what do you feeel for stability in your left and right hands?

Status
Not open for further replies.