Ryder Cup Picks are In

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like them

No real surprise to me. I thought that Glover might have taken Fowler's spot, but I don't think it is a grave error not to.

Jay

Amazing that winning counts for nothing anymore when these picks are made. Three picks that have won nothing on tour this year.

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
Cink bothers me...the rest I like. Just really not a lot to choose from.

I would have liked Glover even less than Cink. No one else really stands out that is not already on the team.

JB, Boo, AK, Van Pelt...all have had fairly average years

OK, you are playing at your club and get to pick three guys for a team tournament. You are offered a chance to review the last twenty scores of each member and pick who you want as team-mates. Would you not pick the four who have shot the lowest scores? For the Ryder Cup why not look at the last month and pick the four guys who have won the most money? This pick stuff for the U.S. went south when Wadkins picked Curtis Strange in 1995.

ZAP

New
I like the Cink pick for his experience. He has also shown he can handle the Ryder Cup pressure. Captains picks are always questioned unless they win. Pavin will either look like a genius or an idiot for even picking Tiger. All I know is I am really looking forward to this one for some reason. Maybe he will put Phil and Bubba together. Or Bubba and Dustin? Fowler and Bubba are friends? Some very interesting pairings could be tried out for sure.

OK, you are playing at your club and get to pick three guys for a team tournament. You are offered a chance to review the last twenty scores of each member and pick who you want as team-mates. Would you not pick the four who have shot the lowest scores? For the Ryder Cup why not look at the last month and pick the four guys who have won the most money? This pick stuff for the U.S. went south when Wadkins picked Curtis Strange in 1995.

Why not have a one-hole playoff for 4 spots?

Cink won a british open and has played well in team competition. Whats not to like?

He's 4-7-2 in Ryder Cup play.

His play this year hasn't been promising.

His stats this year that I've looked at, which are plentiful, have not been good this year. Those to me outweight him winning the British Open over a year ago.

This is what sort of aggravates me about Ryder Cup Captain picks is that they usually favor 'experience' over youth and inexperience. That's fine if the player has a good record in the Ryder Cup. But if it's not or if it's mediocre, I would always favor youth over experience. The youthful players that get that chance to play in the Ryder Cup usually do very well and I would rather go with an unknown youthful player than a known commodity of a weak Ryder Cup player who has a ton of experience.

3JACK

Damon Lucas

Super Moderator
Woods...no brainer/marketing,
Johnson....somewhat deserved/religion,
Cink....religion
Fowler.....marketing/clothing sales

Glover....extremely unlucky
Watney...unlucky
Palmer...somewhat unlucky
Couples....injured
Holmes....unlucky
Kim....lack of form - probably had to make 1 or 2 cuts and would have coasted in

In a hostile environment, you don't know if Jay Overton, Bubba, Mahan, or Kuchar are going to go deer-in-the-headlights on you when they get in front of the hooligans.

I think the away venue gave experience and cockiness an edge for Pavin.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
He's 4-7-2 in Ryder Cup play.

His play this year hasn't been promising.

His stats this year that I've looked at, which are plentiful, have not been good this year. Those to me outweight him winning the British Open over a year ago.

This is what sort of aggravates me about Ryder Cup Captain picks is that they usually favor 'experience' over youth and inexperience. That's fine if the player has a good record in the Ryder Cup. But if it's not or if it's mediocre, I would always favor youth over experience. The youthful players that get that chance to play in the Ryder Cup usually do very well and I would rather go with an unknown youthful player than a known commodity of a weak Ryder Cup player who has a ton of experience.

3JACK

Thats 4 wins more than most of the team combined

In each of their last 6 events...

Tiger - no top 10s, averaged a 33rd place finish
Johnson - 1 top 10, averaged a 31st place finish
Cink - no top 10s, averaged a 28th place finish
Fowler - no top 10s, averaged a 44th place finish

Tiger hasn't had a top 10 since June, and hasn't threatened to win since last year - making the cut is news. He is playing "golf swing" and at the beginning of a swing over haul.

Fowler has never won a professional event.

How has using the Captain's picks to pick the hottest players been reduced to this?

Damon Lucas

Super Moderator
Tell us you're joking.

Mostly joking!

I don't see too much value in Cink, nor Johnson. Fowler is a tv pick.

You have 5-6 guys who should have been picked ahead of these guys.

I would add Ryan Moore, Hoffman, and a couple of others.

JB and Bubba would have been a great combination.

Tiger is a must on pretty well any level.

I want to root for the US, but will find it sleep inducing watching Stricker, Furyk, Cink, Z Johnson, Overton, and Kuchar.

Status
Not open for further replies.