sand shot question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erik_K

New
For the last few outings I tend to just skim the sand shots resulting in a thin or skulled shot. I am striking the sand a few inches behind the ball, but I am not taking enough sand it seems. It's almost as if the wedge just bounces over the sand if you follow me.

Any tips? Do I need to leave my weight more forward?

Erik

What are the conditions of the sand? Fluffy, firm, wet? It's been rainy this week in MD, and I feel I've got to get steep and chop down on some wet or firm sand. Whereas I feel more comfortable coming into it more shallow and "splashing" out of fluffy sand rather then exploding.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
I'd say more on the wet and firm side. Where I play the bunkers are not super soft and fluffy.
The more loft and the more open you lay it open the more you CANNOT be fat with the shot, you'll have to hit fairly close to the ball because that much bounce will BOUNCE into the ball rather than digging underneath it.

This is especially true with firmer/wetter sand, you have to use more of a leading edge sand divot.

Erik_K

New
OK. So lay it open less, or depending on the conditions maybe just make a 'normal' wedge shot but hit 2-4" behind it?

Status
Not open for further replies.