Science and the Right Arm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are there any forces/torques that the right arm particularly the right forearm are responsible for in the golf swing? There has been much documented on "wrist torque"...but is there anything with regards to the right forearm? Or them bones in there the ulna and the vulva and the radial or whatever they is?

Are there any forces/torques that the right arm particularly the right forearm are responsible for in the golf swing? There has been much documented on "wrist torque"...but is there anything with regards to the right forearm? Or them bones in there the ulna and the vulva and the radial or whatever they is?

bone in the vulva? whoa!

whatever they is?

Rule 6.7 - Undue Delay

Might need an official decision as to whether the delay would be undue; a real man would take the penalty :cool:

Getting back to the right arm:

Is there an explanation as to why some players straighten into impact and some don't. My observation would be that those who straighten are more likely to have a higher AoA and deeper divots. Would this form the basis of an argument against straightening?

Just for clarity: I'm talking about the right arm reaching its straightened out state "earlier" (just around impact) or later (well after impact). IOW: is it advisable to try to keep it bent thro impact?

Dariusz J.

I would say the amount of bend in the rear arm depends mainly on a degree of closeness/openess of one's shoulder girdle in the impact zone - thus, it is heavily dependent on one's pivot efectiveness.

Cheers

I understand you prefer a more open shoulder girdle in the impact zone Dariusz. Does that mean you prefer a more bent right arm?

Any other opinions?

Dariusz J.

I understand you prefer a more open shoulder girdle in the impact zone Dariusz. Does that mean you prefer a more bent right arm?

Definitely. More bent rear arm means a better scenario for tieing both humera with main body pivot and rear forearm in line and supporting the shaft.

Cheers

leon

New
I've been wondering about this, and hand (or coupling point) path, and how it relates to the amount of jump at impact. Do players with more jump have to straighten their right arm more to get to the ball, or am I way off base with this?

Definitely. More bent rear arm means a better scenario for tieing both humera with main body pivot and rear forearm in line and supporting the shaft.
Cheers

This sort of the point of my question....what does science say about "rear forearm support"? Does the forearm play any role and if so what?

I find the question of right arm support interesting also. I think the jury is out on this one.

On one hand why should it need any support if it's freewheeling, on the other I can't imagine that throwing a club at the ball would have the same effect on the ball as when a golfer swings the club into the ball and keeps it securely in his hands.

We need some SCIENCE to explain this one, methinks.

Dariusz J.

There is a science called anatomy that can explain it pretty easily. Will try to be as clear as possible: elbow joint cannot move in all possible directions because it would be too weak to support actions correctly; therefore, hard structure needs additional motions of forearm to adjust the lack of RoM in the elbow joint to allow some physical actions to be achievable. One of this motion is pronation/supination of the forearm (turning the forearm axially). Physics of golf swing must include pronation/supination (and bending the rear elbow as well, BTW) because otherwise one couldn't make a full swing.
Now, when rear forearm pronates (during downswing) it affect simultaneously the shaft and the clubface. It is much easier to control the clubface when shaft is aligned parallelly - or better said - is a parallel extension of pronating body part. Any angle between it (i.e. when shaft is not parallel) forces an additional action of wrist to adjust to impact.
Probably this is one of main reasons why the most consistent ballstrikers were elbow planers with their rear forearm supporting the shaft.
Other reason was that their pivot was great enough to let the above occur.

Cheers

Thanks D. I'd be interested in the definition of "supports the shaft". What is it (the right forearm) doing to support the shaft? I ask because, as far as I can see, the shaft is moving much faster and pretty much independently of the r. forearm.

Dariusz J.

Thanks D. I'd be interested in the definition of "supports the shaft". What is it (the right forearm) doing to support the shaft? I ask because, as far as I can see, the shaft is moving much faster and pretty much independently of the r. forearm.

Maybe faster but at the same plane ! Independently ? Depends in which of the three spacial dimensions and when.
Whatever your forearm does everything happens in synch with what's happening with the shaft (of course it's a generalization) - hence "support". Could be "help" as well if you do not like the word "support".
The forearm is doing nothing that your conscious brain should know, it is just happening unintentionally when there are necessary conditions created for this great biophysical scenario.
But there are better physicians than myself here and maybe they chime in with more data explicite. I just wanted to describe kinetics from anatomical point of view which is very clear in case of this phenomenon.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.