Shaft Loading

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mizuno Joe mentioned this on another Topic. I think it is an interesting subject. Mike Adams and the guys that wrote the LAWs book call these shaft "bursts". I suppose this is the same as loading the shaft. In their model, different types of swings...ARC, LEVERAGE, etc., produce different amounts of "bursts".

Clubfitters are probably also concerned with shaft loading as one of the factors in fitting players with shafts.

quote:Originally posted by lagster

Mike Adams and the guys that wrote the LAWs book call these shaft "bursts". I suppose this is the same as loading the shaft. In their model, different types of swings...ARC, LEVERAGE, etc., produce different amounts of "bursts".

I would really love to see an analysis of the LAWS book from a TGM perspective. I can see some similarities between the Width swing and a hitting stroke but some obvious differences as well.

cdog

New
In a PURE swinging procedure, there shouldn't be ANY shaft loading, correct?
You are pulling the shaft lengthwise, centrifugal force is also at work pulling the club head out.
The whippy makes you efficient in this because of the shaft, it has to be a pure swing.
Also swinging a rope, has to be a pure swing to keep it straight.

Nope - pulling the shaft lengthwise will cause lag, which loads the shaft sometime before impact. ANY effective golf stroke, Hit or Swing, will load the shaft. How can the shaft kick, without being loaded?

rwh

New
quote:Originally posted by cdog

In a PURE swinging procedure, there shouldn't be ANY shaft loading, correct?
You are pulling the shaft lengthwise, centrifugal force is also at work pulling the club head out.
The whippy makes you efficient in this because of the shaft, it has to be a pure swing.
Also swinging a rope, has to be a pure swing to keep it straight.

MizJoe is correct and just to add a little to his answer, the club is stressed in one of two ways: (1) change of direction or (2) change in velocity. Acceleration (change in velocity) stresses the shaft for Hitters whereas change of direction does it for Swingers.

DDL

New
If the shaft goes from stressed to less stressed, but still stressed, is that considered throwaway? Semms very difficult to retain the amount of bend and stress in a graphite driver from loading topost impact.

I don't get it? I thought you were an arc of approach guy?(swings around spine) Linear guys swing from left shoulder.
You've been advocating Arc of approach/ swing "around" spine as long as I've been on this forum. Arc/Around?

Linear guys?

Yes.. everything moves around the spine, including the left shoulder in my view. But some have differing component movements which produce an angle of approach rather than an arc of approach. The shaft and lag pressure point will load unique to the angle/arc of approach. This was the lightbulb for me, and the thing which I believe is pertinent to this conversation.

What are the different types of shaft loading?
At a seminar, I once heard that Ernie Els was a Ramp Loader, and could use a fairly soft shaft. I was never sure what a Ramp Loader was.

I don't know the term "Ramp loader".. but it sounds like a gradual loading motion rather than an abrupt one. Also, Els has quite the "Arc of approach" in his swing. He uses gradual accelleration and no abrupt force applied to the Primary or Secondary lever system. Of course... that's just what I see. Get his swing and look for yourself.

I believe it means the load grows slowly up to it's max, which is sustained until the shaft kick point. If you plotted the amount of load against time, it would look like a ramp.

Will someone explain to us in plain English, how to Swing a golf club in such a way as to compress the ball with an unstressed shaft at Impact? Oh, by the way, this is a real ball, not a wiffle ball.

To better understand shaft loading, I recommend you all refer to the www.truetemper.com website and the Shaft Lab section which test for the three downswing shaft loadings unique to each golfer.

The science behind the TTShaftLab was presented in a study at the 1994 World Scientific Congress of Golf held at St. Andrews University UK, entitled:

The Dynamic Performance of the Golf Shaft during the Downswing - J.H. Butler and D.C. Winfield - True Temper Sports, USA.

The three downswing shaft loading patterns appeared as: Single Peak ( or burst), Double Peak and Ramp Up. Testing on the TT ShaftLab may also show a blend of loading profiles. The testing equipment can be found at golf stores and better clubfitters. The testing may cost $30 - $50, and is well worthwhile to assist in determining the most suitable flex shaft in their clubs.

The information I want can't be found on The True Temper Shaft Lab web site. They describe how the shaft is loaded. I want an explanation of how to effectively strike the ball with an UNSTRESSED shaft. We were informed on this forum that a stressed shaft wasn't necessary.

quote:Originally posted by MizunoJoe

The information I want can't be found on The True Temper Shaft Lab web site. They describe how the shaft is loaded. I want an explanation of how to effectively strike the ball with an UNSTRESSED shaft. We were informed on this forum that a stressed shaft wasn't necessary.

I assume you mean EXTERNALLY UNSTRESSED ... as in PP #3. The golfshaft experiences many INTERNAL STRESSES thoughout the various stages of the golfswing.

Status
Not open for further replies.