Shallowing Moves on the Downswing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a tendency to get steep on the downswing and need some help shallowing out my swing. I've watched video of my swing and the club is closer to my left arm instead of the right arm when viewed from down the line. I've seen a lot of pro-tour swings and most seem to have club very close to the right forearm at waist high on the downswing.

Any suggestions?

Try focussing on showing your right inner forearm to the sky on the downswing, while maintaining the right wrist cock (bent backwards, palm facing upwards)...
For most of the downswing it is like you are doing a right hand karate chop...
Dropping your right elbow towards your right butt cheek (with your hands trailing) does the same thing..

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
I have a tendency to get steep on the downswing and need some help shallowing out my swing. I've watched video of my swing and the club is closer to my left arm instead of the right arm when viewed from down the line. I've seen a lot of pro-tour swings and most seem to have club very close to the right forearm at waist high on the downswing.

Any suggestions?

Assuming your swing needs shallowing,make sure your backswing pivot is one that allows you to get some axis tilt at the beginning of the downswing.(i.e., flat shoulder turn, deep hipturn,tailbone closer to target than neck) Also,check that your clubface isn't too open at the top or you'll never shallow it out on the way down. Good luck.

Try focussing on showing your right inner forearm to the sky on the downswing, while maintaining the right wrist cock (bent backwards, palm facing upwards)...
For most of the downswing it is like you are doing a right hand karate chop...
Dropping your right elbow towards your right butt cheek (with your hands trailing) does the same thing..

That's sounds interesting, I'll try that...Thanks PuttMad.

c21heel, When I get too steep on the downswing specially with my 30-80 Yards shots, I close my eyes and Ignore the ball and...suprise suprise no more over the top and quite shallow before impact, of course Impact with the ball is another issue but...you wanted shallower you got it.

Here is the proof -
Regular 50 Yards shot compare to 50 Yards shot with eyes closed,
and a few Slow Motion videos that showing your right inner forearm to the sky on the downswing.

Last edited:

tank

New
You have a nice swing.

Except, you are really complicating things by rotating your forearms like crazy in the take-away. You then have to time the rotation perfectly to square the club on the downswing (or you may lag the hosel and end up with shanks).

In addition to keeping your right forearm facing the sky on the downswing, it will help to to feel like you are keeping the left forearm facing the sky on the takeaway (look at the pros' in your video)

All, thanks for the replies. I will try each to see if any will help. I'm thinking the right forearm to the sky and right hand karate chop to start, and then work on some while keeping the eyes closed.

Jim, when viewed from behind and down the target line during my downswing, my club shaft starts out just inside the left arm and covers the left arm until impact. I believe this is why I tend to hit the ball chunky at times. And, I believe this contributes to my tendency to flip.

If I could get the club on plane during the downswing, I think it would solve my problem. Of note, the backswing looks great.

Status
Not open for further replies.