Short game questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had the chance to play more often than usual lately and a lot of the rounds have been with guys at about the same level that I play. 12 hc from the blue tees at my place. Two situations seem to crop up a lot in the weekend players game.

1. Either intentionally or not, there will be at least a few shots inside a full wedge to the green. Drives that land in the rough result in second shots that don't make it or simply mishits come up short of the green. Regardless of how we get there, I have seen more fats, thins, etc. My fairways are pretty tight and you can see the tension build as a guy gets over a 65 yarder.

2. Greenside misses than end up in the rough. The course is pretty old and not long, so the greens are small, usually firm and quick with rough close by. I'm not talking us open stuff, but pretty thick. I'm always wondering what to do. Play it like a bunker shot? Back in the stance for a chunk and run?

Its tough to practice either one of these situations, even if you have a practice area. Ours usually has people around the putting green, so caution dictates refraining from experimentation around the green. Any thoughts from instructors/accomplished players on high percentage shots or methods to cut down on the lost shots would be appreciated.

PS congrats to KS on his play at the Mylan. Never met him, but feel a certain sense of indebteness for his contributions here. Would be on his lesson tee if I lived anywhere near Pitt.

For the shots around the green - you need to play the course when it's not busy and practice those shots around the green. The "sand shot" from heavier rough is most of the time the go to shot.

For the 1/4 and 1/2 shots - those are tougher. They require a different set of criteria than your full swing. You have to experiment around and find a stroke where you can accelerate through the shot. For example, one type of acceleration method for those shots is to pull the club through and have a feeling of your lead arm bending through impact and follow-through. Might not seem like it on paper but bending the lead arm actually helps or is a source of power in pulling the club through - you'll see that if you play around with it. That's just one example of many.

I agree with the idea of playing late when no one is on the course so you can practice shots. I hit those shots from deep rough like bunker shots too, only way to get an idea of how to hit those shots is to practice them a lot. The less than full wedges I'm less sure of, I just try at all costs to avoid them. I'm better from 30 yards and in, they become more like a standard pitch from there.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
I agree with the idea of playing late when no one is on the course so you can practice shots. I hit those shots from deep rough like bunker shots too, only way to get an idea of how to hit those shots is to practice them a lot. The less than full wedges I'm less sure of, I just try at all costs to avoid them. I'm better from 30 yards and in, they become more like a standard pitch from there.

+1 Play around twilight and practice the shots, only way to get comfortable with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.