Short Putts - Setup, Mental Approach

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just hoping to start a thread about how people approach short putts (18 inches to 4 feet) under pressure. I was playing some beautiful golf, for me, in a comp today (2 over after 14), when I had a mental collapse at the end.

I had a very tricky and slick downhill/sidehill 10 foot putt for par. I was too careful with it, and left it 20 inches short. I tried to hit that one straight in the hole, and it lipped out and went well by - eventually I four-putted from 10 feet to make a 7.

So I'm wondering how people approach putts like this. In trying to assess what went wrong for me, I realise that I have a tendency to never want to play the ball outside of the hole when it's under 2 feet. But I think that was very wrong in this case: with the ball where I had it, I think the 2 footer only goes in if you play it outside of the hole.

In general, I'm curious to know what people's thoughts are on these types of putts, and if people have had some success with a particular sort of routine or mental approach.

you have to realize that your best chance of making the putt is to get out of your own way. once you pick your line and pace just hit it. it either goes in or it doesnt. worrying and overanalyzing only hurts your chances.

well said TheFuture.

always make sure you put a decent stroke on it. i find if i get nervous over a 2 footer, i put a very shaky, wobbly electric eel stroke. never a good thing.

trust your line, your pace, and hit it

Thanks, both. I've been focusing on 'pick your line, trust it, and make a good stroke' on 4, 5, 6 footers - but I think I've been deviating from this on shorter putts. It's probably because I've convinced myself it's OK to miss a 5 footer, but not ok to miss a 2 footer!

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Create a metronome (sp?) for yourself; it develops a routine. That way you can just go up to the ball do your metronome and you won't think about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.