Shortening the radius to release - anyone doing it with an up-tug on the left arm?

Status
Not open for further replies.
By up tug I mean a little shoulder shrug (left shoulder) and a left left elbow bend (think Lee Westwood). I think I'm effective releasing this way rather than pulling up on the club via a jump. Any others experiencing this?

art

New
By up tug I mean a little shoulder shrug (left shoulder) and a left left elbow bend (think Lee Westwood). I think I'm effective releasing this way rather than pulling up on the club via a jump. Any others experiencing this?

Bonsey,

Could you OR ANY ONE ELSE EMPLOYING THESE NEW RELEASE MOVES please quantify AND POST the changes in DISTANCE AND DISPERSION they are experiencing ? Trackman or FlightScope summary data would be perfect, but more 'qualitative data' from those of you like me with only driving rang 'signs' for measurement would be appreciated too.

I admit it is difficult for me to accomplish, and therefore my results are not favorable or representative, but until Brian makes another SOUTHERN California trip, I will continue to try, as you know, believing completely in the science of Dr. Steve Nesbit, and the teaching of Brian.

Thanks in advance,
art

This is a variation on a fairly common theme on this forum, (or any of the forums really). In my experience one of the most difficult things to accomplish is to change something in a golf swing. Anything. Yet I hear "when I do it this way versus that way" quite a bit and, honestly, I'm skeptical. I work with all level players including some quite accomplished ones. And they have to work their butts off to make even a slight change in their move. I think most of the teachers will agree with me here. So when you are doing "this versus that", how can you be sure you've done anything very differently. Golf swings are some of the most entrenched motion habits we have, and they just don't change much from swing to swing. Over time, yes. Hopefully.

I'd love to see some face-on swings from the folks describing their work on the release. Without video to go with their stories, I'm more than sceptical. Or has the posting of swing videos been banned?

ZAP

New
I think video has been banned to protect members of this forum from non constructive advice based on a "look" as well as to keep the "advice" limited to Manzella instructors. It has been said that posters are welcome to send video to instructors though.

Brian Manzella

Administrator

There are plenty ways to it, and that is certainly a valid way.

This is a variation on a fairly common theme on this forum, (or any of the forums really). In my experience one of the most difficult things to accomplish is to change something in a golf swing. Anything. Yet I hear "when I do it this way versus that way" quite a bit and, honestly, I'm skeptical. I work with all level players including some quite accomplished ones. And they have to work their butts off to make even a slight change in their move. I think most of the teachers will agree with me here. So when you are doing "this versus that", how can you be sure you've done anything very differently. Golf swings are some of the most entrenched motion habits we have, and they just don't change much from swing to swing. Over time, yes. Hopefully.

Totally agree. The player should more accurately say "when I feel this or that." If you video 2 swings, one with the new feel and the other with the old feel.....don't get them out of order because you can't tell the difference.

I've seen lots of lessons where a good player and a teacher are stroking each other. The teacher is saying, "yes, do you see, that looks much better!" The player is going, "Yeah, that looks good...feels good too!" I'm sitting there thinking, "those two swings are the exact same!!"

My favorite is when I video tape an amateur, and then I show them the video, and they say,"Well, I don't think I normally do that." Oh no, Mr. Dingleberry, you don't normally do that, only when I turn the camera on.

Totally agree. The player should more accurately say "when I feel this or that." If you video 2 swings, one with the new feel and the other with the old feel.....don't get them out of order because you can't tell the difference.

I've seen lots of lessons where a good player and a teacher are stroking each other. The teacher is saying, "yes, do you see, that looks much better!" The player is going, "Yeah, that looks good...feels good too!" I'm sitting there thinking, "those two swings are the exact same!!"

My favorite is when I video tape an amateur, and then I show them the video, and they say,"Well, I don't think I normally do that." Oh no, Mr. Dingleberry, you don't normally do that, only when I turn the camera on.

LOL. Perfect. Spot on. Also..."well i have two or three swings which one do you want to see?" "Well show me all three!" "Ok was that the whole lot?" Now come look at the monitor and tell me which was which?"

LOL. Perfect. Spot on. Also..."well i have two or three swings which one do you want to see?" "Well show me all three!" "Ok was that the whole lot?" Now come look at the monitor and tell me which was which?"

Ha ha, I totally forgot about the: "well i have two or three swings which one do you want to see?" Get that one all the time! LOL

art

New

Dear DC,

NONE of the above commentary is true with BBKIB. You can see it with the eye or camera, the participant , with Tim Gallwey's "Awareness Instruction" can tell you they did it, AND HOW GOOD, following the shot, and best of all, Trackman and/or FlightScope can verify even 'statistically' that there was up to a 10% increase in distance AND up to a 50% reduction in dispersion.

So I repeat by re-posting my earlier REQUEST from ALL of you employing some form of the new release:

Could you OR ANY ONE ELSE EMPLOYING THESE NEW RELEASE MOVES please quantify AND POST the changes in DISTANCE AND DISPERSION they are experiencing ? Trackman or FlightScope summary data would be perfect, but more 'qualitative data' from those of you like me with only driving rang 'signs' for measurement would be appreciated too.

I admit it is difficult for me to accomplish, and therefore my results are not favorable or representative, but until Brian makes another SOUTHERN California trip, I will continue to try, as you know, believing completely in the science of Dr. Steve Nesbit, and the teaching of Brian.

Thanks in advance,
art

I totally agree on the feel aspect. My feel is a shortening of the radius via the left arm moves. That said, if I don't implement that feel, I come in shallow and inside out. The feel, for me, for now, works.

Art - I really can't quantify anything. Without the up-tug, I roll the face shut and hit low hooks. With the up-tug, I hit it with a slight draw (not really on purpose) and high with what feels like really good, satisfying contact.

Last edited:

hey Virt, swings can be different without being visually different. TM agrees.

Results can be different even if the swings are not visually indiscernible?

Yes, old boy, your statement is indeed very much in tune with what I said. The same swing would of course produce the same result so by definition a different result could only be produced by a different swing. As I said, this difference may however not be visually distinguishable.

Hey, maybe that education of yours was worth the money after all! JJ

Yours, Lord Haw-Haw

That is to say impact is different but the swings that produce it are indecipherable. Sure if I fire and fall back, block one and flip one, way different impact numbers, but little to no difference in the swing. Two way misses. Happens a lot. Call it saving the swing or whatever, my point is I was not in any significantly different position to support impact. This is where TRACKMAN has a shortcoming. You can zero it out by luck, or at least in such a way you can't repeat it. I teach a tournament player who suffers from zeros on the range and pull hooks in competition.

hp12c

New

Oh great and here I though I was changing my swing, so its the same!! even after COFF, NSA, IATR. This sucks dont get me wrong its not the videos are expensive but I thought if I did what was on the video changes would happen!!

Status
Not open for further replies.