Shoulders in the Setup

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am in need of some serious help before I take this new self discovery to the practice range. I have been having some serious issues getting properly set in my posture. My clubs have been feeling too long for me and my hands have felt very low at setup. I also have not been able to turn back properly and have been coming over the top with a weak fade:confused. Mostly, I'm picking up the club. All of this is the complete opposite of what I have felt in my golf swing the past decade. So, here is what I think is going on... Like so many, I have read Hogan's Fundamentals. Specifically, the part about keeping the elbows close together and on top of my chest. I believe this is causing my shoulders to come together as well as giving me a slumping posture and also causing me to pick the club up more. Now I have a bit of a gut and a broad chest, so I may have over compensated my understanding of this technique. What I am now theorizing is that i need to keep my shoulders more level across my chest instead of turned in. This feels like it is allowing me to maintain a better spine angle and turn my shoulders more through the entire swing. To clarify, my arms and elbows are not pointing outward nor are my arms stuck to my sides. I'm mostly concerned I over-did something before and now I am getting back to a more natural position. I would greatly appreciate any advice or clarification on this matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.