SMT users

Status
Not open for further replies.
SMT

Have for several years as well. Wouldn't have it any other way. Presently using the 455DB. Love that club!

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
I don't believe that SMT is better than taylormade and i don't think taylormade is any better than SMT; these days with driver heads it's all about the loft and the COG of the head.

The nice thing about component clubs is that if you order a 9.5* head they will usually hand pick you a 9.5* head. When you go buy a 9.5* off the rack at golfsmith, it most likely as anywhere between 10.5* to 11* and i'm not exaggerating.

Leek

New
I don't believe that SMT is better than taylormade and i don't think taylormade is any better than SMT; these days with driver heads it's all about the loft and the COG of the head.

The nice thing about component clubs is that if you order a 9.5* head they will usually hand pick you a 9.5* head. When you go buy a 9.5* off the rack at golfsmith, it most likely as anywhere between 10.5* to 11* and i'm not exaggerating.

Not only that, but the off the rack club will have a face angle that has a wide variance from standard, but usually more closed than stated.

If hand picked, it will be whatever you specified.

Yeah, that's why LDA's use SMT and wouldn't be caught dead using Taylormade.
The advertised big brands just can't match clubmakers like SMT and KZG.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Honestly, if Taylormade wanted to get into the LDA, it could and it would dominate. All they would have to do is throw some sponsorship money around (like they do on the PGA Tour to win the Darrell Survey driver counts), design some heads specifically for the LDA guys so that they would handle the abuse and boom, they'd have a big presence.

I just don't think it is something that they want to do, most likely part of their branding image since they correlate their drivers with the best players in the world.

Honestly, if Taylormade wanted to get into the LDA, it could and it would dominate. All they would have to do is throw some sponsorship money around (like they do on the PGA Tour to win the Darrell Survey driver counts), design some heads specifically for the LDA guys so that they would handle the abuse and boom, they'd have a big presence.

Without trying to start something....., the LDA folks use what works. Personally, I don't care what Taylormade or any other maker does. It's what they don't do. The fact is the SMT head moves the ball, well. (Coupled with a decent shaft.)

I just don't think it is something that they want to do, most likely part of their branding image since they correlate their drivers with the best players in the world.

Ever consider that maybe it's more difficult than it looks?

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Liftoff

The LDA guys use what works but the reality is that the reason why the components dominate the LDA is because they are the only ones courting them. I have met and talked with Mike Tait a few times @ SMT Golf and he told me stories about how he got started because he was one of the few guys who could build heads for the LDA guys that wouldn't break all the time. If the OEMs wanted to do the same thing they could...oh wait they did. I don't remember his name but it was either last year or the year before that a well known LDA guy who was Alpha sponsored (great heads btw) who suddenly changed in the final event and was sponsored by Callaway. I believed ended up wearing a hat, shirt, and won the event with the big bertha 460 i think? I'm a little foggy on what head it was.

Also, in reference to your "ever consider question" i'm not sure if you mean being a LDA guy or being a company who wants to get into LDA. If you mean the former yes i know how hard it is to be successful at LDA. I have known quite a few guys who have tried and the guys at the top are really unbelievable. However if you are talking to the latter, it wouldn't be as difficult as you think.

Look at Cobra, they have a long drive sponsored team and i'm willing to bet money that the reason they do is because it fits with their brand image. Cobra markets their drivers through the image of really long drivers; ie the commercials with feherty and the beast and even to the extent the long guys on the PGA tour (Ogilvy and Camillo).

It doesn't fit with taylormade's current branding image of being the #1 driver in golf and they really don't need the extra attention to sell their drivers the LDA brings to the table.

I'm not trying to be smug or start a fight but my profession is in Financial/Business Analysis and these are my professional opinions as to why taylormade isn't in LDA.

I'm not trying to be smug or start a fight but my profession is in Financial/Business Analysis and these are my professional opinions as to why taylormade isn't in LDA.

Don't worry, none of what you contribute is taken in a negative or smug vain. We all can have our opinions.

Cliff

Status
Not open for further replies.