Snapping kinetic chain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, don't know if this question has been asked, but hopefully some of the instructors on here can help me out. For many years I've tried to get my baseball swing out of my golf swing, I played college ball and I was a pull hitter. When you hit it hard to left field, you lean back slightly to get power. So when I want to really go after a golf ball, I swing but I pull hook it because its so ingrained. Lately its been a little better, but my problem right now is that on my downswing I tend to snap my left leg early causing me to raise up a bit and I hit it thin or hit it fat. That also tends to spin my hips really quick and lean back a bit. Hope you guys understand that correctly. Any help is appreciated, do I need to try to keep my left leg more bent until after impact and maybe slow down my tempo?

Damon Lucas

Super Moderator
One of the biggest differences between baseball and golf is the pivot point.

In baseball, hitters mostly turn/pivot around the back leg from what I can see(in the downswing).

In golf, for the most efficient kinetic chain for accuracy, getting pressure into the left leg is important, in my opinion. For power, I don't think it is as important, and may even be completely irrelevant.

The reason is that when the left leg has pressure and weight on the foot, the left hip joint acts as a natural 'braking' mechanism, and facilitates a more defined downswing sequence, whereas in a 'spin out' kind of downswing, the end point for the hip rotation, or for that matter the pelvis, is relatively undefined.

That all said, there are guys who spin out and are pretty accurate, and I'm sure Brian and the guys have opinions and researched knowledge on the subject.

How to do it?

I would start with Brian's thought of stepping on the right foot to start the backswing and then stepping on the left foot to start the downswing. The pause you sense should really mostly enable you to get into the left side. Feel the pressure in the left foot, then feel the rotational forces from your body acting on your left foot. Different golfers with different patterns and/or ball flights will feel the tension in different parts of the left foot(and at different times!)

Thanks Damon, I've thought of trying to do that, just seems really slow when I tried to step on the right foot and then make sure I step on the left. I guess because as you said, you feel that little pause instead of going all in one motion. Thanks, maybe Brian can give some thought or research on it also.

Look at Brian's previous posts about the pull back, run up and jump movements to clarify. You have a lot of the equation already. Just need some more run up.

Thanks Kevin, can you explain the "Push out against the left thumb"? Not sure I quite understand that concept for a right hander. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.