So I guess I'll ask for help (with video)...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I rarely ask for help with my game on the forum. I usually prefer to soak up the info and apply it where I think I can. But I've decided to "post up" my swing and ask for some help.

I fight a block. It can turn into a block-fade when it goes bad. The club just gets "behind me" and goes way out to the right. I think I know what I'm doing wrong, but I just can't fix it.

Let me know what you guys think.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Good Stuff!

I would hesitate to change ANYTHING.

You are a natural "elbow planer," and that is NOT "behind you."

You have a very modern pivot, and a A+ backswing.

We need to fix your Alignment vs. D-Plane issues—period.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Hoelout, try to keep the clubhead in front of you a little more on the way back. There's no way you can get that club going left without a lot of handle drag.

How often are these pushes a product of too much forward lean and its d-plane scewing?

Do you think you do this much Brad or no?

Btw he looks like Byron Love III peeps.

I would hesitate to change ANYTHING.

You are a natural "elbow planer," and that is NOT "behind you."

You have a very modern pivot, and a A+ backswing.

We need to fix your Alignment vs. D-Plane issues—period.

I know that this isn't "behind me" but the feeling is like the club is behind me and can't square up in time. I'm curious about your Alignment vs. D-Plane issues comment. My blocks get much worse the longer the club gets, if that helps. My driver kills me a lot of the time, and it used to be a strength.

Kevin Shields said:
Hoelout, try to keep the clubhead in front of you a little more on the way back. There's no way you can get that club going left without a lot of handle drag.

Do you mean like getting the club more vertical? Outside the hands? And what does the club going left without a lot of handle drag mean? Sorry, I'm just curious.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Basically, some elbow planers ive known that have felt "stuck" and fought blocks try to get the club going left with a flip or just drag the butt end too much left. In hindsight, Brian's suggestions could be a much quicker and easier fix.

You would be very "Trackman-able":D the type of swing that would reeeally benefit from seeing the numbers.

Looks familiar

Boy this looks exactly like my swing and I struggle with the same issues.

I've worked hard on more clubface control and feel it is not the answer.I felt if the ball gets blocked ,the clubface has got to be pointing right.

But that doesn't seem to work.

Now I'm thinking more D plane.

My body type and set up is similar to yours and so is Kevin's.

Real interested in any more suggestions.

Basically, some elbow planers ive known that have felt "stuck" and fought blocks try to get the club going left with a flip or just drag the butt end too much left. In hindsight, Brian's suggestions could be a much quicker and easier fix.

You would be very "Trackman-able":D the type of swing that would reeeally benefit from seeing the numbers.

I'm still curious as to what exactly Brian's fix is for me. Do I just aim a little more left and my block is now straight? The swing in the video hit a dead straight shot, but I still missed a few 10-15 yards right in that range session. It gets worse with the driver.

Another video...

So I figured it might help to post up a typical bad swing/miss for me. Here it is:

I know it looks very similar to the first one, but I hit this one about 10 yards right of target. The miss gets bigger with driver (obviously) and can be a round-killer.

Look at the top of your cap compared to the horizon. Is there a little head dip down that makes your body crowd the ball at impact, thus harder to square up the face?

I have been fighting a similar problem recently.

What really help me was the feeling of rotating your hips left through the ball more instead of sliding them to the left and then rotating them.

This helps me get the club feeling less "behind you" so to speak, but really it helps get my d plane more correct.

It gives me the ability to actually hit a cut that starts left of the target as oppose to a block cut that starts right and then falls further right.

Basically just make the same swing you are making now which looks great, and start your downswing with a turn of your hips instead of a slide.

Hope this helps!

Nice swing Holeout.

Man I really hate some of you guys. That tall flowing beautiful tempo.

Don't any of you guys have jobs!

Bronco Billy

I'm Bettin He's a Natural... Ie. He's Had This Swing From the GetGo.....

Best Swing I've Seen Posted on this Forum.... Better Swing Than Most of the Touring Pros.... Looks Like What Billy Andrade is Striving For.... I Wouldn't Mess With Any of It.... I'd Guess When He Hits it Right... He Simply Unconsciously Lets the Face Open a Tad on the DownSwing... Have a Great Day.....:)

Best Swing I've Seen Posted on this Forum.... Better Swing Than Most of the Touring Pros.... Looks Like What Billy Andrade is Striving For.... I Wouldn't Mess With Any of It.... I'd Guess When He Hits it Right... He Simply Unconsciously Lets the Face Open a Tad on the DownSwing... Have a Great Day.....:)

Thanks for the compliments, and everyone else's too. It's not entirely "natural" though. You can look at some of my older swings on YouTube. The Soft Draw backswing did wonders for me.

I'm still interested in Brian's commentary though. It looks like I may be aiming a bit to the right in the video, now that I take a closer look at it. Maybe that explains why I miss it right...

Clubface Pointing Right ?

Like I said before, I too thought the clubface was open and everything else in the swing looked fine.

So, I worked on twistaway.Remember Brian's saying "clubface less open" but didn't really seem to help.
Experimented with irons 2 degrees more upright then standard for me.Didn't work and maybe made it worse.

That is why I think more of a plane issue.

For a Hooker fixing that path can be a very hard thing to deal with.I say that because I have not fixed my path yet.

jc2bg

New
Aiming right.

I can see that in the second video: shoulders, upper body, and feet all look a little right to me. You have a tad bit "closed" setup relative to the target line. Are you afraid you're going to hook, then hold on at impact rather than continuing to release the club? Trackman would tell all.

Thanks for the compliments, and everyone else's too. It's not entirely "natural" though. You can look at some of my older swings on YouTube. The Soft Draw backswing did wonders for me.

I'm still interested in Brian's commentary though. It looks like I may be aiming a bit to the right in the video, now that I take a closer look at it. Maybe that explains why I miss it right...

Status
Not open for further replies.