Something other than golf

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been an avid golfer for the last 6 years and have improved my game greatly following this site and visiting Brian several times. I was a former clueless hacker who could rarely break 100 without a mulligan or two. I now rountinely shoot in the low 80's.

I was challenged this past spring by my daughter to do something "other than golf" You see, her and her husband are runners and have done 4 marathons. So I decided back in May to start training for the Chicago marathon.

I have never been a runner but joined a running organization (Team in Training) that would help train me. I'm leaving this morning for Chicago and will run the race on Sunday. It won't be anything fast (5 hour projected finish time) but I'm confident I'll finish. If you want to view the journal I kept while training for the marathon you can check out.
www.seerayrun.blogspot.com

One advantage of this training that has helped my golf game has been the new strength in my legs. I'm actually playing better golf now than I did before I started running. I'll br back on the course after the race once I can walk again :>) Maybe you too can do something "other than golf" although I don't know why you would - I love golf!

Cheers
Ray

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
you will have a blast, every runner i know loves the chicago marathon for all the scenery and the fans that come watch and support.

jimmyt

New
When Your Done

After you have been successful in your 5 hour quest and you need to decompress. Stop at Lou Malnati's and have a piece of the thier world famous deep dish pizza.

Good Luck

Good luck Ray. That may be about as far as I've run (if you're talking about straight running) in my life.

(i.e. excluding running while playing other sports)

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Just checking in and seeing how you are doing?

For those of you who do not know, due to the record tempatures late in the year here in Chicago, the marathon did not go well and was ended early. One person died and many were taken to the hospital.

I survived the Chicago Death March

I'm alive - The race as you probably heard turned into total chaos. I was unable to get any water or gator aid until mile 8 - where's the cart girl when you need one :>) it got better after that but the damage was already done.

I made it to mile 20 when they cancelled the race and told everyone get on a bus back to the finish line.

I'm going to play 9 tonight.............

Status
Not open for further replies.