Sore left ankle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lately I've been getting a rather sore left ankle. I notice this toward the end of a round, or even more so if I'm hitting balls on the range, esp. with the driver. Does this indicate some defect/swing fault, or just getting old?

I get this too sometimes, particularly when I'm on the course wearing spikes. They have artifical turf mats at my range, and I just wear regular shoes and I don't experience this. I think it's probably because of flexiblity and the positions one reaches in their swing. I tried turning my left foot towards the target a bit at address. Sometimes that helps. If that doesn't work I will try and let that foot spin towards the target a bit during the follow through. Sometimes those spikes work a little too good. Incidentally, I've recently incorporated a left heel lift on the backswing and I haven't had as much of an issue of ankle pain since.

cnadon, don't know how old you are, but in my experience, as time marches on the potential for injury increases.
I learned in the 60's and have the active leg drive type of action with a big roll on and over the left heel. No problem
at 180 lbs and 30 years old. Two years ago at age 63 and 235, that action caused a plantar fascistis type problem.
I literally couldn't finish on my left foot. It was ok last year, but I have focused on trying not to over do the roll on to
the left heel. Haven't lost the weight, and that's a huge factor in how much pressure goes into that foot.

Having learned in the mid 70's, I too have that extra leg action that leads to ankle roll. Is it better to finish with the weight on the inside of the left foot?

I would do some stretches to help loosen up the tendons and ligaments around your ankle, try planting the outside of your foot on the ground and stretching your ankle outward as far as you can, it will probably be stiff and hurt but keep stretching it, especially in the morning and after you play, you can also plant your toe and move your weight forward to stretch the tendons and ligaments on top of your foot

I don't get a sore left ankle so much as a sore muscle on the outside of my calf on my left side.

First time playing all year was on Sunday (and I played like poo poo), so making bad swings combined with zero offseason training did it.

If it's muscle soreness, I wouldn't worry too much about it - if it's tendon/joint pain (and it continues), you might want to look at some remedies (ankle brace, etc.).

Status
Not open for further replies.