sorry,another Pop Out question

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok, a quick question on pop out and sd/nha patterns. would the nha2 pattern have a bit of the popout as you are bringing the clubs/hands somewhat straight back? when using sd pattern and the idea is to have the hands relatively close to the hips turning back, does the clubhead itself turn back or would it kind of be going a bit more in a straighter line back rather than in? does this make sense? thanks
i

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
Clubhead is going a bit straighter back with the hands going more in regarding the SD backswing.

NHA is definitely more of a pop out move as the "up the wall down the wall" motion could not be achieved otherwise

thanks coach. that's what i take from it. messed around with it just a bit and seemed to work well by combining some of the sd backswing but allowing my arms to go up more and then i would try to 'carry' the club into the ball. has helped with flipping perhaps as well.

What is the advantage of using a SD backswing rather than a NHA backswing? Brian mentioned it could possible help shanking but never said why. Anyone know? Thanks

What is the advantage of using a SD backswing rather than a NHA backswing? Brian mentioned it could possible help shanking but never said why. Anyone know? Thanks

I don't think avoiding shanking is a primary goal of SD video. Brian talks in the video about how part of the goal is to avoid an overly rotated and laid-off position in the backswing that makes it hard to hit a soft draw and also talks about how the pattern in general helps eliminate some of the junk that afflicts many swings currently (overly-centered no pivot pivots, etc).

well NHA has some pop-out and leads to a more laid off position at the top of the swing. being laid off effectively opens the face more, and from an open, laid off backswing position shanks are a possibility. SD eliminates the chances of this happening on the backswing at least. you can still lag the hosel in the downswing

NHA 2 also calls for some rotation of the left arm to the top. Underplaners can overrotate the left arm. I do it big time. I put the club in a better position on the backswing with the soft draw backswing. However, the NHA2 downswing is key to my game regardless of the backswing, it has made a huge difference. I am favoring the soft draw backswing as it reduces my tendency to overrotate. As Brian points out in the video, the rotation in the backswing of the left arm is an anti-hook measure. But, it can lead to underplane issues and open the clubface too much. Just watched it again last night. It is really good instruction.

Status
Not open for further replies.